Swift Transportation Veteran's Scholarships being offered.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Six9GS, Jun 13, 2019.

1. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    The Vet scholarship program is basically you apply with your DD-214 showing Honorable or Under Honorable conditions and they pay for the driving but not the housing. I have a feeling they use that as a tax break more than anything, because once you hit the road, you're making them money. So they can say the "invested" X amount in retraining a veteran so give us X amount of a tax break. Only benefit I can see is the spouse/dependent scholarship transfer. So if you're already a driver, and maybe want to team with your wife/husband, they could get trained that way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    When I was talking to my Swift recruiter a few minutes ago she said it was either $40 or $80 per week. I was kind of confused so not sure I understood it correctly but it was something like they take out $80 but reimburse you $40 every week. And, she said something about if You make the payments and stay with Swift for a year, at the end of a year you will still owe about $1500 and they forgive that remaining balance. And, they continue to reimburse you $40 a week until you've been paid back what you paid, which would take you till end of year 2. So, if you stay with them for 2 years, in effect, your training was free. However, I am really unsure I heard it all correctly, so do not count on what I just described as accurate, but it is something like that. YMMV I guess. Since I am a Veteran, I do not have to put up any up-front expenses or reimburse anything afterwards as long as I stay with them for 1 year. (You do have to have food and living expenses during training, just like everyone else.)

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    BTW, I think if you are a Veteran and qualify under the new G.I. Bill, or similar, they have other options. As it is, you do not get paid any wages until after the 'academy' and you actually get in a truck (first one with a mentor). However, if you go under the new G.I. Bill, I think they pay you during training and there are probably additional benefits. I was not under the new G.I. Bill and what pathetic meager benefits I got have long since been used. The worst G.I. Bill type program since WWII was called VEAP and that is what I fell under.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I was told the room is also included. Although for myself, if I end up going, I have an earnest special situation that may require separate private accommodations. Still unsure how that will get handled, But, I am thinking I will probably end up providing my own lodging separate from what the school offers. IDK. I'll see if that is what ends up happening. It isn't a given that I am headed there yet, although given everything thus far, I am leaning that way. Firm decision is not made yet.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  6. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    expand to read...

7. Darryl1982

Darryl1982 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2019
    What happens if u didn't finish school because of a failed hair follicle?

8. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I started with Swift. That is how it worked then. They deduct for a year then pay you back for the next year. So after 2 years it was free if you can make it for 2 years.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Well. Hmmm. The last time I smoked Pot was in September of 1981. Somehow, I don't think I'm gonna have any problems with a hair follicle test. That said, if they had donne the tests IN September of 1981, my hair would have probably gotten the test machine high!!!!:biggrin_25524::biggrin_2554::biggrin_2552:

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  10. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    while some people when they young and dumb age we did stupid stuff eventually the smarter ones grew out of it. Became adults and decided to do something with our lives others stayed back in time you look these people they have gov stamp they don't work they want everything handed to them for nothing. without the care and world, these are something a kid would do. But these ain't kids anymore I know a lot people soldiers even people from other countries they value that dream to become something better. The one that comes over work help the country taxes I have no problems with them coming over at all the ones who come over with nothing want everything handed to them like these pot heads I see nothing but a dam cancer to the American society. I know of buddies who lost their legs, arms overseas to war for the country they willing to die for come back and have PTSD and still want to work contribute to society.

When I see these lazy arse people on street nothing wrong with them no mental issues, physical they there make money saying they out on there luck. There is no luck you either grab life by the horns or you fall and stay there. Sometimes you can fall and get back up soldiers do this every day these people will also have brothers, sisters who will also help them get back up all they gotta do ask. I know this is a touchy subject but I will speak my mind and make no apology to anyone but my g/f period.

11. TakinItEasy

TakinItEasy Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2012
    OKC, OK
    I did it's. It's true if you stay there a year

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.