Switched from day to night driving: observations

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Driver0000, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Had a slow receiver near DC. Realized at 11:00 am that if they loaded me by 3:00 pm, I would be cutting my hours too close to get home through DC rush hour traffic so I jumped on SB and waited.

1) at hour 8, I noticed Peoplenet auto calculated a split sleeper. I could've had my 6h45m back and tried to get to my home (6 and 30).

I decided to wait 2 more to get 11 back.

2) I couldn't sleep. Receiver woke me after 30 minutes sleeping so I could sign my bills.

My wife started calling at dinner time and I just never got to sleep.

3) traffic was light. Even around DC, I was doing 65 except for one, one lane construction zone.

3a)There were more trucks than 4-wheelers, from 1:00 am to 5am

4) gotta pee? Rest areas are a no go for a pit stop. The ones in VA on I-81 looked like truck stops. Pull in there, you might get stuck

5) I had to drop my speed down to stay alert. Maybe I'm just getting old but I couldn't maintain 65 comfortably. Even on stretches with my brights on, I only felt safe running 62.

6) Park in the fuel lane after 2:00. No one cares cause everyone is shut down.

6a) People running at night tend to be more open and friendly at the truck stops. Guys in line at the J were talking to each other and seemed more more relaxed and happy. Hell, even the 3rd shift counter lady was really nice. No one looked like their live was at stake getting back out on the road.

7) not one accident after 1:00 am.

7a) no scales!

The worse part was staying alert. I never drink soda but I felt I needed a redbull so I slammed two. They don't work.

When I got to the yard at 5:00, no one was moving. I got out in 10 minutes.

i like night driving

OPUS 7, Eowyn, LWT104 and 11 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gillz107

gillz107 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    New York
    As for 6a, people are generally more friendly at night because it's slow and BORRRRING as hell. You need all the company you can get during night shifts, whether talking on the phone with someone, or other people to talk with.

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Redbull is overrated. Strong coffee works much better and there is no that weird withdrawal afterwards

misterG, #1don, bottomdumpin and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I would much rather drive over night or start at 2-3am. Much less BS to deal with. Cars and even other drivers on the road have speed on their mind and are oblivious of their surroundings. Drive at night and most of them are sleeping and I can get some work done.

shogun, RookieJ1987 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Not much garbage on the cb at night time either. I hear more reports of deer by the roadway than curse words.

7. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    I try to drive at night all the time during the warm months but not so much dec-March. There is more construction going on but blow right thru them steadily and it's way more relaxing. Fueling is in N out, plus rolling in at 10 am at a truck stop is rewarding. Get that primo spot and wifi is fast cause not a lot people logged on at that time. The biggest plus about driving at night is the open road! No traffic! Do gotta watch out for deer and drunks though. Like this guy........

And deer........

8. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Idk about the Redbull part, I drink two of those and I start shaking and feel like I'm coming down from some drug or something.

misterG, NavigatorWife and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    oh i don't know there driver, i drink about a few cups of coffee a day, about 14 in fact, i cannot say for sure i have no problems, can you?

[​IMG]

10. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Java monsters are good, but nothing beats hot coffee

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Try Redline. Be absolutely certain that you read the warning on the label.

Broke Down 69 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.