Switching from class b to class a

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Cdavis91, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Cdavis91

Cdavis91 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I already have my class b cdl with air brakes. Since I already have class b with air brakes can I take my class a test in a truck trailer with out air brakes and still keep my air brake endorsment?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    It's my belief, and I could be wrong, that for class A, you have to test in a class A vehicle.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No. There is usually no such beast as a 80000 pound 18 wheeler with liquid brakes. (They would simply burn at the temperatures we brake at...) You will lose your airbrake with a test vehicle without one.

You need a full blooded 18 wheeler with airbrakes and so on to test properly. Make sure it's a manual so you don't get restricted with a Auto only.

Cdavis91 Thanks this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes, the current CDL testing procedures for upgrade only require a knowledge test and pre-trip, which you already took when you got your B, no more road test in an air brake vehicle. Now, you said truck-trailer, did you mean something with a ball or pintle hitch? Like dump truck and equipment trailer? If so, you will get restricted A that limits you to truck-trailer combinations only, no full tractor trailers (5th wheel hitch).

@x1Heavy A class A doesn't have to be 80,000 pounds. Most of those pickup trucks with wedge trailers you see coming into Adesa are class A rigs and are usually hydraulic brake trucks with electric brake trailers. Same with some older tag behind trailers used to move construction equipment puled by dump trucks, many have simple electric brakes.

x1Heavy and Cdavis91 Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok Thank you very much for a little Adesa School. I generally left those People alone because they load and unload outside of my gate. And as crew boss my turf is with the big trucks in one section near the barn. Ive heard some good things about electric (Or dare I say magnetic induction) braking.

Class A means combination vehicle. A dumptruck with airbrake beaver trailer and a paver with backhoe on a pintle hook would be a restricted class A at best.

A full tractor trailer with a 5th wheel is a combination vehicle, so are road trains and so on etc into heavy hauls.

I just use 40 ton as a standard weight. No particular other reasons.

I learned something tonight. Thank you again.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What?

Some of that's wrong.

You need to take a combination "written" test and a full road test in a like vehicle that you will use.

If you are going to haul construction stuff, then you get the restrictions indicating so. If you are going to drive a tractor and trailer, then you test in one of them.

BUT the OP wants to keep the air brake qualification so he has to do the test with air brakes, not with any other vehicle.

If he does get an A without air brakes, he loses that qualification and has a "L" restriction put on his license.

If he takes the test in a truck without a fifth wheel, then it is an "O" restriction he gets on his license.

AND if he takes the road test in a vehicle with air over hydraulics, then it is a "Z" restriction.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Plus in most states (all?) a gooseneck is not a 5th wheel. Using a gooseneck for the road test would have the same restriction.

9. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    In Ohio take the test for combination vehicles, wait 2 weeks, schedule drivers test, rent or borrow truck and take a CDL A driver with you....done.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I know several people that do this testing. I have spoken to several of them about this very question. None of them will do a partial road test. They demand the applicants show they know how to pretrip and how to test brakes. Otherwise it is a failure.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Careful Sir. I respect your opinions and that also of Ridgeline's

The tests Maryland gave me in my time for the Class A was very comprehensive.

Arkansas was no less very comprehensive, but thanks to the Grandfathering I did not require a actual 18 wheeler.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.