Switching from Electronic Logs to Paper Logs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by britishblondie, Oct 10, 2013.

1. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

It is a company truck...2012 model.
    Paccar engine getting 5.8 mpg.....NO pulling slug!...
    Nice truck otherwise but I may be switching to a Freightliner because this truck runs so poor and the shop can't get it right.
    I drove a Cascadia with the 15 liter Detroit that runs circles around the Pete.

I also got another job offer I am considering.....2014 Volvo trucks....Not sure what i'm taking yet.

Sorry......back on topic guys...:biggrin_25519:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    love your attitude.,

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  4. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

The only bad thing with electronic is running out your 14 and only 30 miles or so from home...
    Had that happen last week on a Friday......Dang it!

5. craggy1982

craggy1982 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2012
    KY
    that's what the off duty driving button is for lol

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    that off duty thing needs something else to go with it. or your screwed.

7. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. CarolinaChuck

CarolinaChuck Bobtail Member

May 18, 2013
    I run a 3 ring log book, and only a 3 ring log book. Sign your name to a log only if it is legal; I care less what happens on the road. Only the minimum required by law is marked on the log; nothing more, nothing less. It is evidence in a court of law, signed by you. The 3 ring book lets you redo your log at the end of the day again, neatly.

I have cheated hell out of a 3 ring log; but know this, your going to prison if someone gets killed on the highway and your logs don't match the fact of where you were in reality to your log book. Like I said, it is evidence. And they will go all the way back in your log book to see if your cell phone records, shipper and receiver log in times, fuel and debit card transaction all match your log. And your employer will throw you under the bus just as hard as his lawyers can, because he is just as culpable for allowing you to cheat "your" log book.

Keep it simple and log always on the time zone of your domicile; Pre Trip and Post Trip, Load and Unload, Break and LC (load check), and Swap only. Fuel, lunch, scale and eat are more information then you need to give; just keep in mind it is evidence and you do not need to put one extra mark on the log then is required by law... not by the company. You tell them to go to - well, you know... If you are simple and neat, and always consistent no DOT type will look twice at your log book.

You will be just fine,
    CarolinaChuck

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    wore out and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  9. chicken_hauler

chicken_hauler Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2013
    The dos equis man (xx) has the best advice...lol :biggrin_2559: untitled.png this has helped me for the past 20yrs.

10. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Were you mty or loaded. Check with safety with the driving while unladen as a personal conveyance and see if you have a way to do that. This is how a lot of people make it home when going home, I believe it maybe a 50 mile distance is all.

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There are other computerized Record of Duty Status programs available,as well. Eclipse is also available for Windows and Trucklogger is available for Windows, Mac,and Linux.

I liked Eclipse, but had no reason to purchase it, so I didn't, and Trucklogger may have been more intuitive to use, but that didn't impress me.

Cost of either was around $50. You need to record a place in the remarks for each change of duty status, the e-log probably did that for you and if you use a GPS device with the computer logging programs, they will do it, too.

I prefer finding an address on a receipt if I purchase something, or on a map. Fuel purchases use the address on the receipt if the carrier is picky or gun shy, and the fuel card will likely also use the address of the location so if you take the location off the road signs,or ask someone and get the wrong answer,your log will have a location error.

I'd try to get that one right at least, there are other things that can throw you, too, but nothing that major. If you have questions, safety or your log department, if that is separate, will tell you what they want marked, and if they have a different interpretation of the rules than you do, you will need to resolve it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.