Switching oil bath hubs to grease

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Dadetrucking305, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    Hello.I have a 40 foot gooseneck with 10 k axles that I hotshot with.Problem is that seals only make it to 20-30k.Once they blow the shoes are toast and $100 to replace the shoes and $30 for seal.It adds up pretty fast.Everyone I talk to says to pack bearings with grease so that when the seal fails the shoes don’t get destroyed.What do y’all think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Even on a goose neck that seems way low. Try a new bearing and race yet? matched set not just a race or bearing, old and new don't mesh well

buddyd157 and fargonaz Thank this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Check the specs with a mic on axle/hub assembly?try to figure out root cause 1st

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i suppose you could use wheel bearing grease, use hi temp synthetic. you may want to clean and repack them from time to time, depending on how many miles you put on that trailer.

also too, by using grease, i think you lessen the chances of oil soaked brakes from catching fire. that happened to me once at an LTL carrier i was with, seal let go, and "poof"...

6. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    The grease trick works very well as a temporary fix.

I just packed one of my steer hubs with grease this week so I could get back home to change the seal. Worked perfect.

I would not do it on a permanent basis with an oil bath hub. If the manufacturer wanted it greased instead of oiled, they would specify that.

Try contacting the manufacturer of the trailer or whatever type seal you’re using. See what their typical life expectancy is before you burn up your bearings by using the wrong lubricant.

Trick # 2.. use at your own risk..
    If and when the seal leaks on the brake lining, back off the slack adjusters on that axle so that brake lining doesn’t create friction/heat against the drum. If that axle isn’t able to be adjusted, you’re SOL and you can ignore that advice.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  7. Dadetrucking305

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    There’s not much in the Dexter axle book regarding specs.Only to seat to 100lbs,loosen,hand tight,and back off a 1/4 turn.Which is what I have done every time.

I don’t think they build these gooseneck and RV axles as good as they do semi trailer axles.I remember reading on a forum about a guy who found an issue with his trailer brakes when adjusting them.Turns out there was a problem with the runout.He purchased new drums and they also had problems with the runout.So he called Dexter up and they pretty much told him it was the way they built them and that weren’t too concerned about building them with tighter clearance or whatever it’s called to get the issue in check.

8. Dadetrucking305

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    I actually had one blow out completely on my old trailer a couple years ago.Saw white smoke coming out from behind the wheels so I pulled off an exit which I happened to be approaching and found a spot to park.Wheels and hub came completely off before I came to a complete stop.Luckily I check my mirrors.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  9. Dadetrucking305

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    I did call Dexter and they use the same bearings on oil as they do on the grease hubs.They said all I needed to do was pack clean hub and bearings and pack them.

DieselDrivinDaddy Thanks this.
  10. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    You might want to try a better quality seal, Dexter 10k oil bath seal National part # 370150A. There are only 2 choices at trailer part stores, the red seal (metal back) or black seal (rubber back). The rubber-back seal is made in Taiwan and it will spin on its back once the rubber deteriorates causing a complete loss of oil pretty quickly. The red seal is made in China it won't spin on its back and it leaks slowly once it's gone bad. Nowadays it's hard to get good quality parts everyone tries to make the cheapest crap it's a race to the bottom, no one is stocking good quality parts anymore you might have to go online to get good quality parts. I use eBay or rockauto.com exclusively if I can wait for the parts.
    When installing the seal use a shop press so that the seal is perfectly flat against the hub, you might also want to use anaerobic sealant on the seal's back to prevent leak (out the back of the seal) and definitely use anaerobic sealant if the seal has rubber back. Also fill the oil til the line 'oil level' and no more, change the rubber plug at center of the oil cap if the rubber has harden there is a cut center of the plug to allow the hub to 'breathe'.
    The National-Mogul seal part # 370150A is made in Mexico.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    kylefitzy Thanks this.
  11. Dadetrucking305

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    Thanks.So far I have tried the red Dexter one and the black rubber one.You are right about the black one,those would fail the fastest.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.