Switching over from tanker to flatbed?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Count FurFur, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Count FurFur

Count FurFur Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2019
    I worked for a mega carrier as a tanker but don't have a lot of experience. With someone right under 6 months experience, what are some good companies to consider that will take me on? I'm in metro Atlanta. I just got off the phone with a recruiter with TMC. They seem like a pretty good company just want to make sure did I get hired on with the right company so I don't look like I'm jumping from company to company for my first year

cke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Might want to rethink your plans, tanker is the best trucking job you can get. With all that a flatbedder has to do, in a week, you'll be wishing for that tanker job back. Don't do the flatbed, especially after a tanker job. Relax, Rome wasn't built in a day, stay with the tanker.

4. Count FurFur

Jan 4, 2019
    The problem with my situation is all the good tanking companies want at least one year experience and there's hardly anybody that trains tankers other than mega carriers like Schneider and CTL. It didn't work out at all with me with Schneider.

cke Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    If you were on with Schneider, that should be enough to get you in the door at tanker outfits. Hopefully Chinatown will see this. He has referred lots of people with 6 months exp. Don't give up, like I say, flatbed is a good job, many advantages over a box, but believe me, the order of trucking goes, the worst, van/reefer, then flatbed, and tanker, the best. People spend their whole careers hoping for a tanker job. Hitching up a hose, opening a valve, and break out the truck wax anyday, over trying to tarp a "S" load with 2 dozen straps ( that need to checked every 100 miles) in gale force winds, will have you wishing for that tanker job, trust me.

6. Count FurFur

Jan 4, 2019
    Thanks brother

cke and 201 Thank this.
  7. Freightliner Classic

Freightliner Classic Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Rome GA
  8. Count FurFur

Jan 4, 2019
    I filled out an app with them several hours ago and talked to one of their recruiters. They seem legit. The only thing I didn't like about them as they have a governor of 62 miles per hour

cke Thanks this.
  9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Would it be so bad to put another 6 months in at your current outfit? Like @"semi" retired said, tanker has spoiled you from the start. Usually guys move into tanker after finding out how much work everything else is.

If you are looking to really WORK hard for your money, then go ahead and do flat deck. It is rewarding work and with the right experience at the right company(ies) can open bigger doors. But it's very hard work just starting out, and if you don't get the proper training, you'll grow sour to it very quickly.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I think the OP already quit Schneider.

cke Thanks this.
  11. Count FurFur

Jan 4, 2019
    Yes I did. I try to give them a two week notice they told me to clean my truck out

cke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.