Switching to TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by greenhorn27, Jun 22, 2008.

1. greenhorn27

greenhorn27 Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2007
    knoxville, tn
    I have been working for Maverick for about 2 months now and they seem like a good company. My choices were origionally TMC or Maverick and I decided to go be a Maverick. I haven't had any big problems with them yet except the truck. It is an 07 but it's an automatic! I hate it. It has froze up on me so many times and got stuck in 9th gear once. I took it to the shop and they said Freitliner would have to fix it sometime. My problem is this; I just got out of trucking school in Feburary and I haven't shifted a gear since. Theres no way Maverick is giving me a 10spd manual so I'm thinking of switching to TMC just so I can gain the experience of driving a truck. I don't want to drive OTR forever and will try to get a local job eventually but I'm afraid I won't be able to drive a real truck then safely. I seen school as just learning the basics of shifting and was expecting to hone my skills my 1st year but I cant at Maverick. Am I just freaking out or do I make sense here?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    You will lose the shifting if you don't use it I would try another company ASAP if I were you just to keep in the grove of shifting. If you don't use it you will lose it Good Luck

4. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    While I would encourage you to come to TMC for any reason, I don't think you should right now. I understand your concern about looseing your shifting skills, I think it is far more important to have stability in your work history. What if something goes wrong with TMC, now you have at least three employers in less than a year. You will be shutting future options with a history like that. A better approach will be to find some way to keep your manual shifting up to speed. Good luck with whatever you decide.

dbook Thanks this.
  5. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    You might want to consider talking to your dispatcher and see if they can get you into a manual transmission.. It is not wise to switch jobs, just because you need the experience in shifting.. Personally no one should be driving a automatic, until they have learned how to drive manual first. And I don't mean from school. Once you get past school, training, and get your own truck, companies should have all new drivers in a manual first, then a automatic if they choose to..

dbook Thanks this.
  6. Fast_Forward

Fast_Forward Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Paducah,ky

I agree on that ! I cut my teath on a old 5 speed Mack back in 95. Drove many of miles local in a double stick 5 speed mack. Gota love 5 gears in reverse ! Driving back hilly roads fully loaded in a 20 year old Mack, thats under powered you learn how to be quick with the stick and feet. It wasnt till 10 years later when i upgraded to a "A" that I ever learned how to double clutch. Thats a lot of work and if you miss your stuck, and have to start over. I am thiniking on going to Maverick after being off the road for a year. A auto would be nice, but not having that control might take some getting use too. I have drove some concrete,garbage truck that was auto, i got use to it.

And if you dont use it you loose it? Well once you done it for years, it dont take too long to get it back. I would stay with Maverick for a bit longer if i was you. Road time is road time, hang in there.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.