SWR

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by twig, Nov 2, 2013.

1. twig

twig Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ok, Question for all you radio gurus.
    2012 Cascadia midroof. stock Galaxy 979 radio.
    I wasn't able to get good swr readings by using the factory mount on the driver side, no matter what antenna I used.
    (For the record, this truck appears to NOT have the the box anywhere for splitting the signal between antennas. The factory antennas are clearly marked "cb-drivers side, am/fm radio-passenger side and I could not find a box behind the speedo of anywhere else I looked.)
    So, I got a bird perch and put it in the driver's door top left screw position, installed a normal mirror mount on it and ran a new piece of $40.00 belden 50 ohm coax 18 ft long to the radio cubby. Reports from close by (parking lot) say "loud and proud" using an older top load 4 ft. k40 tuneable tip 1/4 wave, but it seems the range on transmit is not there when driving. 1-2 miles maybe ? The receive is much better to the point of turning down the gain to avoid all the skip chatter. The swr on this setup barely moves the radio meter on swr setting between 1-20-40.
    I changed out the k40 to a "predator" knock off (it's also about 4ft total length) from the striker guy in OK. City and the swr went through the roof (3.5 plus and turned on the ant. warning light on all channels).
    Changed that out for a 4ft 5/8 wave Firestick II and swr came right back in line with the k40, but still no range to speak of.
    This bird perch mount would allow up to about a 6 foot antenna without fear of being too high and I understand longer is usually better but why did the swr go up with the striker so much ? Because it's center loaded and the coil is too close to the body and it's way below the roof line ? I was just planning on putting a longer whip on the striker to raise it above the roof, but my understanding is the whip is more for receive than transmit anyway.

As a side note, with the high swr striker installed, the "power" side of the meter shows around 6 watts. With the low swr k40 or the firestick, it shows around 14 watts. This from a stock 4 watt radio ? are these radio meters that inaccurate ?, or am I missing something?
    The meter also pegs when I speak into the mic with it set to "mod" if the mic gain is all the way open.
    I'm not a radio guy but when I try to talk to a receiver and have to have the signal relayed by another driver next to me to be heard, methinks I have some issues.
    lil help here ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    First the radios internal meter should be trusted like a politician. Get an external SWR meter. Radio Shack sells them for about $40. p/n 21-1534. Keep it in the truck. It surpasses any of the Barjan/Road pro ones the truck stop sells. Follow the directions and ensure you properly calibrate the meter for the best reading. An uncalibrated meter = inaccurare reading.

If your SWR is high, yes anyone in the parking lot as you, will have no problems hearing you. But your signal is not going far because most of it is being reflected as heat back down into the radio as opposed to going out. That's what makes high SWR, shorter range and damaged finals happen.

Antenna length is not just for receive, it's also for transmit too. But you can't go too long. Most CB antennas are tuned for ok performance on CB, you still have to fine tune them to the truck for best performance. By adding a longer stinger to say, a Wilson 2k, it'll mess up the SWR because that loading coil also serves as the antenna, only in the sense of keeping the radio happy and keeping height down.

Not sure why the SWR went up on the predator knock off....it could because it's a Chinese made antenna with a defective (read: open) loading coil. That'll for sure send the SWR up. That's why I steer clear of Barjunk (Barjan) products as much as I can.....poor workmanship and hit or miss quality.

Also I believe your rig is mostly fiberglass? CB antenna need metal under them as a counterpoise or ground plane, to send the signal off of. Not having much metal = signal don't get far on an antenna that needs a counterpoise.

And yes when SWR goes high the meter can sometimes show decreased power.

twig Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.