Syco/Food service.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by VantaiTatted, Feb 7, 2018.

1. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Anyone work for Syco or a food service distribution that can give me an insight, the good, the bad. How is the pay? I am in the Eastern shore area so we have a local syco but was wondering if it was worth it. I hear foodservice drivers work their butts off but get paid extremely well. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Lots of work, the few Sysco drivers I knew though were happy, at least at their distribution warehouse. And I think that is what you will hear, it depends on the management in your particular area. One thing, the job will keep you in shape. No idea on the pay though.

4. Money-Mike

Money-Mike Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Drivers I talked to say they average about 18 stops per day. 30-50lb avg case weight. Loading onto a dolly and down the ramp or some have lift gate with pallet jack. Alot of them are union shops and pay depends on the contract at each center.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is one kind you want.

Go into Norfolk Navy Base with a sysco truck. Everything comes off there one time to a chain of sailors passing boxes of everything into the Submarine, Carrier or Destroyer etc. Stand there and keep track on paper.

My very favorite sysco to go to is the one in Pokomoke City Md on the coast. Sometimes cross a ocean from the south to do it. That one to me is the best Sysco in the entire system. They have been more than tolerant of my particular needs, logbook and unloading etc. I would run there in a heart beat right now.

But... times change. There are many syscos you want to stay the hell away from. The one in south little rock on 65th street is a fine example. Homeless fighting each other next to the building comes to mind.

6. Idahojoel

Idahojoel Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Phoenix Arizona
    My Uncle has been with them 15 years or so
    He says he is a lumper with a CDL but the pay is good benifits are good work is steady he makes $80-90k annually with their ABC or whatever they call their time management bonus system, I used to work in their warehouse it was a pretty decent gig albeit a pretty physical one

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Expect anywhere from 1200-1800 a week depending on the route they give you. 1200 on the real low side of things. More than likely you'll avg somewhere around 1350-1550 a wk

8. Dgde4x4man

Dgde4x4man Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2018
    I owned a restaurant. No way in hell you could pay me enough to do what those guys go through.

Western flyer Thanks this.
  9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    You can get that money without killing your self
    Everyday for it.
    That ain't worth it.

10. Dgde4x4man

Dgde4x4man Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Agree 100% we would get cases of chicken, pork butt, brisket, beans etc. Each weighing in around 100 lbs a peice. Guy would come up two flights of stairs with it. Not in my wildest dreams would I ever think about doing that

11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    That's why I left food service. But if your a rookie with no exp you will not make that type of money elsewhere

Idahojoel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.