T270 Exhaust brake Downshifts

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by t_traylor1, Sep 17, 2017.

1. t_traylor1

t_traylor1 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Just bought a 14 t270 with the px7 and when the exhaust brake is on it downshift and occasional has rpm as high as 2600 which seems high to me but not sure if that's how the factory set it or someone's changed programming. Does that sound right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Try turning off the engine brake.

4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Yup that's perfectly fine and factory programed. Remember its like the cummins in the dodge pickups and are built for higher RPM's then its bigger brothers. The smaller the engine the faster it can and is designed to turn.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have a different truck that does similar things. I usually only turn it on when needed. The first down shift is fine but the second is a bit alarming. If I slightly depress the accelerator pedal it does much better. If it increased engine braking with heavier brake application that would be fine but it down shifts like it always an emergency stop. Mine down shifts on cruise the same way so I frequently turn it off in rolling hills. To bad it derates the horsepower at the same time. Poor programming!

6. Ribeye

Ribeye Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    So that truck has auto tranny then right? the trick usually should be to set it to manual and that should lock out auto-downshifting. Then you just manually lock it in gear you want and control the eng brake stages and downshifting as you go. Thats been my experience in freightshakers anyway. Otherwise it over-revs itself. Freightliner told me it can't hurt itself, but then why does truck throw and record a code for over-revving?

Do what Boxcarkidd above does, turn brake off in rolling hills. If grossed out and going down steep hills/mtns, put it in manual and control eng brake yourself.

7. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Its going to be an Allison auto and if I remember right they dont have a manual mode( I could be wrong) but he should be able to hit the upshift arrow to get it to drop the rev's but that also reduces its braking ability. That little engine wont over rev tell past 3500rpm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.