T660 vibration

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bigdad7, Oct 16, 2019.

1. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    I have wicked vibration mostly in steering wheel at 900 to 1500 rpms at idle and most def driving
    List of repairs
    1 new injectors
    2 harmonic balancer
    3 clutch redone at transmission shop because orig not installed correctly so everything flywheel back new
    4 rods and main bearings ...no obvious issue to crank .....honestly minimal wear on bearings(covered by original clutch shop)
    5.replaced steering column and cab mounts inspected engine mounts at that time
    6.had a cat shop recheck injectors and ran bunch of other tests in computer no obvious issue (blamed vibration on my funny files that are five years old)
    7 lost an idler pulley (alternator)
    In last year I also replaced fan hub, oil cooler high side turbo ...and the studs and exhaust manifold behind turbo.....and new steer tires ..cams are only a year old also

So this is a 2009 t660 with an accert
    Where else could I look or should I just sell the beast to a grain hauler that won't care about the vibration and move on
    1.28 million miles

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    What is most def driving?

4. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Definitely while driving but the wierdest thing vibration went away when under 40 degrees outside ....i.m annoyed at spending more money but i.m thinking maybe I will try replacing the davco with a fass fuel system

5. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    There was a bit older Pete around here that did some of the vibration type problems driving at times. Some times it was more of an intermitant skip or misfire. No codes.
    It messed up out of town. Dealer did some work and proclaimed it fixed. Driver went around the block and back because it was not fixed.
    They said it was an electrical connection in the harness for the crankshaft sensor. Two days in the shop but it was fixed.
    I have seen some melted connectors for sensors up on the left front of E models. However they threw codes as injector connectors and harnesses did.
    We had already changed to a Cat spin on filter base. It had some air bubbles in a clear test line after the Davco. That changed nothing.
    I have no idea if that is related to your problem. Just sharing an experience.

6. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Mine is very consistent even at idle over 900 rpm.s I might have to look at wiring harness connections but it is smooth at low idle and when rolling on highway when I take my foot out of it

7. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    The one I mentioned was a MX or MXS? It could be consistent when driven under load. Smooth when off the throttle. I drove it while it was doing that with a scanner on it. No codes. Then it could run fine for days. That is all I know.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.

8. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Lol with current pricing on trucks and the value on an a cat I may sell this one for 20k and just get me another cascadia evo.....I upgraded one of my drivers into a 14 with 600k miles a tripack with a lifetime avg of 7.5 ....picked it up from frieghtliner for 31k...
    Truck values are making it tough for me not to retire the old girl.....

The downturn in the truck market looks awesome right now

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.