T660 whistle noise can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Mar 18, 2018.

1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i have been driving a 2006 peterbilt 386 but it looks like im going be stuck driving a 2010 T660, at least for the foreseeable future. the peterbilt is getting up there in miles and i think they might pull it out of service and sell it, 700K miles on it and the other day it was running rough, lacked power, and vibrating. i suspect a bad fuel injector, but as i previously stated i think there is a possibility that they might not fix it. so the other truck i might end up with is a 2010 kenworth T660 which has had its fair share of DPF problems. one of my biggest dislikes with that truck is a very annoying whistling sound at highway speed. most audible with the windows down (not a door seal). its a mirror or a trim piece, who knows. its a daycab truck.

anyone have any idea what makes its noise and how to fix it. it drives me nuts, i prefer the pete but doubt they are going to fix it because apparently they have decided its at the end of the road for that truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    There is a gap between the mirror trim piece and the mirror shell.
    Take masking tape and line the edges where the two parts meet.
    Using clear silicone, put a bead completely around the mirror.
    Remove masking tape and your whistle will be eliminated.

stwik and Dan.S Thank this.
  4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    thanks i will relay that to the shop see if i can get them to do that. i hate that noise, especially when the weather improves and i want to drive with the windows down.

if i can get them to fix this particular truck maybe they could do the same thing to the rest of them. they have several T660's.

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It whistles because it's working.

When it's not working it's quiet.

Alot of people whistle when they work.

Leave the poor truck alone.

Woodys, pmdriver, Trucker61016 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    oh jeeze. my ears would thank me LOL. to think paccar produced those trucks and never fixed the problem pre-production is astounding.

boneebone Thanks this.
  7. 58Skylane

58Skylane Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Cody, WY
    I’ve mentioned this issue to a salesman years ago, I had the same issue with 3 different T600’s and a T660. Took a while to figure it out, but once I figured it out I sealed up the plastic trim and mirror housing. Very simple fix. A quicker more temporary fix is run electrical tape around the cap of the mirror trim and mirror housing (I’ve done this also)

If you drive for a large company and switching trucks often, carry a bag of tricks containing electrical tape, silicone, duct tape and zip ties for things like this.

8. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    The boss might actually thank me for digging up this information. He too complained about this awful noise back when he was training me. He too is a driver said he can't stand that noise but assumed it was the mirror itself

58Skylane Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Do we have another one of @IluvCATS rude trucks?

10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Duct tape is a simple fix until you pinpoint the exact part whistling, then have the shop send it to the manufactures with a note, "W.T.F.?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.