T800 short hood long hood

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by SBLGFD, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SBLGFD

SBLGFD Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Hello and thanks in advance.

First time user of this forum.

We are ordering a 2014 T800 tandem axle chassis for a 3500 gallon fire tanker chassis and the discussion is if we should go with the long hood or short hood T800. The dealer says makes no difference to them - slightly cheeper for the short hood, for us the biggest benefit is the wheel base is 7" shorter. Looking for any input good / bad - pictures of both would be helpful. I have the T800 literature but its kind of hard to tell whats what. Also any other input on the chassis would be great . Power is the Cummins @ 425 with an allison auto.

Thanks

SBLGFD

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    I drove a T 800 several years ago, and I never knew there were two different hood lengths. With that in mind, I guess I'd just buy what's best for your use. I would assume the shorter wheel base is more maneuverable then the longer one, but 7" shouldn't really make much difference, unless you need the 7" of room to park it.

4. Inland-Pilot

Inland-Pilot Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Jackson, Ms
    I've seen both hoods. I'd keep ease of access in mind if I were buying a new truck and had your options. It's easier to perform maintenance with the longer hood.

KC Guardrail Thanks this.
  5. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    It's not consider as short hood like t600 or t660.

6. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
  7. SBLGFD

SBLGFD Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Here is an attempt ( using the kids Apple) to put a picture from the KW " Work Truck" literature. Based on what seems to be no option for a double frame we will probably go with the long hood.

[​IMG]

8. SBLGFD

SBLGFD Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    second attempt

Attached Files:

9. kwmiked

kwmiked Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2014
    If your ordering it with a small motor I don't think itreally matters Its prepreference. If u order a 15 liter motor I think u can only get the standard hood cause of the size of radiator for cooling. If u get a smaller liter motor you'll get a smaller cooling withstub nose. I'd rather have most cooling for hills and hot days

10. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    if smaller engine like c-12. T800 are available as gliders. Factory installed engines are cat acert (c-13, c-15) and isx egr.

11. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    There's actually 4 or 5 hoods for the t800. The t800sh is the short hood, and I would advise against that due to lack of access. You also can only get small motors with it, probably only the ism and mx13. I have a regular t800 with a Detroit and access is hard enough.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.