T800 w/reman 10 sp Eaton tranmission

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by RogerShilling, Aug 30, 2019.

1. RogerShilling

RogerShilling Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Westphalia, KS
    Hello all- somewhat new to the site, hope this post is where it belongs.

I had the transmission in my 03 T800 replaced last fall with a reman 10 sp Weller. I have not been satisfied with how it shifts from the day I got it back from the shop. I had gotten pretty good floating the gears with the original transmission, and no matter how hard I try I cannot be as smooth with the reman one.

It provides me with very little gear feedback when shifting, which I find esp important when downshifting and trying to get the engine rpms just right. I feel resistance in the shift lever when trying to ease into the gear slot, and about the same time I feel the gear teeth it pops itself into that gear, whether the eng rpms are right or not. Sometimes it clashes and lurches, and makes me feel like a rookie. I just cannot feel the gears like I used to be able to, to know whether I need more or less rpms to make a smooth shift.

I took it back to the independent shop that put it in for me, and he said it all feels fine to him. I also took it to my local KW dealer and had them test drive it while they were doing some other repairs, they said it doesn't feel right, but don't know what the problem is without tearing into it. Also talked directly to a Weller salesman, and over the phone he didn't think what I was describing was a problem.

Any ideas on what mite be causing this? I just can't feel near as much as I could!

Side note- I just replaced the shifter isolator bushing, no change with my problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I'm not sure really but I believe we had a transmission like that in loner truck. The only way to shift that tranny half way smooth was to stay in the lower RPM range while climbing the gears. By that I mean not revving it all the way out, maybe rev it half way out to max RPM.

When it failed on one of the drivers and had to be towed, the Transmission guru around here said it needed to be thrown away.
    We were gonna have an 8LL put in it but our friend and owner of the truck never wanted to fix it.

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You may want to go ahead and change the gear oil now and send off a sample to see what was in it, maybe they put a diff. blend like 90wt to break it in.??

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Was It truly a reman with new parts or just put together with old parts that passed inspection......?

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    That's an interesting question that you ask. I used to drive fleet trucks maybe 12 years ago or more and I would go from one new truck to another new truck and they would shift differently. Some would be easier to feel for the gears some would be harder. It was almost like each transmission was something different even though they were the same year model and mileage.

I'm not a transmission mechanic but maybe someone can elaborate on what I'm going to say.

It seems to me that when you feel for the gear what you really are feeling is the sliding clutch matching up to the gear. If the sliding clutch has a lot of wear, I would think it would be more difficult to feel for the gear.

I'm curious what effect the shift Fork, the shift rail, the shifter itself, and the detent Balls and Springs have to do with feeling for the gear.

I have a 10 speed transmission in my garage that I know was rebuilt and I know it has 10,000 miles on it. You can feel how tight everything is when you shift you can tell that it was rebuilt or remanufactured, whatever.

It shifts beautifully except that 5th gear is very hard to feel for. All the other gears are perfect. What would cause this?

I am assuming the same problem that the op has.

7. RogerShilling

Apr 13, 2017
    Westphalia, KS
    Haven't changed the oil yet, could try that. Thanks for the suggestion

8. RogerShilling

Apr 13, 2017
    Westphalia, KS
    I haven't changed the oil yet, but that's a idea to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. RogerShilling

Apr 13, 2017
    Westphalia, KS
    That I do not know. I assume Weller uses new parts, but haven't looked into it

10. Collie

Collie Guest

is the reason why you dont buy a regualr shop rebuild. The only reman trans to buy is a GENUINE EATON REMAN TRANS. They carry the warranty and each trans is dynoed before they leave eaton unlike shop rebuilds

11. RogerShilling

Apr 13, 2017
    Westphalia, KS
    This wasn't a shop rebuild. It's a Weller rebuild. Maybe not any better?? I don't know. I do know they have a 2 yr warranty, which I am almost half way thru.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.