TA In Montgomery, AL - worse Truckstop in America

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by kevinm, Jul 18, 2009.

1. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    That would be an adventure!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    Seems reasonable. Just crappy service then? Guess cell phones and portable satellite tv dishes did them in.

4. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    They had cell phones & portable satellites back then also.

What I think did them in was the cost of upkeep. The weather didn't do much good to those connections... Plus drivers sometimes forget that they were connected & drive off causing maintenance issues. Then of course you had lowboy trailers & parking lots that ride so low to the ground ripping them up... Then drivers who didn't know how to park... would get a tire up on one of the turtle & set their brakes. Not sure if that caused much of a problem, but I'm thinking the weight wasn't any good!

5. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    Always the driver's fault lol. We're our own worst enemy! Laughing at the thought of televisions flying out of windows and coax shredded all over the lots.

6. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    Its been a long time since I was up that way. I retired 5 years ago and since 1994 I didn't run up that way. I was running mostly from the mid south out to SLC, NM, and Tx, just an occasional trip to northern lower Mich or the Twin Cities area.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell

Happens all the time, doesnt it? That "experience" thing. Everywhere you go, you meet some truck driver that treats you like a kid just because you werent driving before the interstates were built.

I understand how you feel and why you feel the way you do. In fact, I agree with you. I see it alot in truckstops. If in the first 5 minutes a driver tells me how many years he's been driving, I instantly think "Oh great...heres another non-driving, never got it right, truck driver that I can out-truck on my deathbed on my worst day living, thats going to tell me how to do my job. What did I do to deserve this?" They do this stuff to make themselves feel better.

That however was not what Mr Dance was doing. His post was not "O yeah, rookie got some bad food/rookie is wet behind the ears and dont know any better". But instead, it was ,"Dude, I cant believe you paid for bad grub AND WENT BACK!!!!

He wasnt putting you down. He was trying to help you by bringing something to your attention which he figured that you had not figured out for yourself yet. Every driver has done it. Every one of us has gone out and got bad food. Doesnt matter how long you've been driving, it happens. You tho, got bad grub, went back for more bad grub. Thats like eating off the buffet, discovering a roach in your grits and going back for seconds!!!!!!!!!!! What ever happen to that cold day in hell?

So take off the war paint and scrap the battle plans. Go use the bathroom and repent. You will laugh about this stuff later.

Happy motoring.

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Story time:

Rolled out of Lincoln,NE had to be in SmokeCity the next morning. Stopped over at a truckstop in the ShowMe for some grub. Jumped back in the rig and hammered. Had this conversation with my guts

Stomach: rumble rumble rumble rumbl

Six: Whew.

Stomach: Rumble rumble rumble rumble

Six: Whew!

Stomach RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Six: Wheeeeeeeew!

And then the load dropped.

Stomach: (boooooooooom)

Six(nearly in fetal position now): OH GOD HELP ME!

Hit the next rest area with a vengeance, jumped out of the truck and ran into the restroom. My belt and zipper wanted to act up and so I started doing jumping jaxs to buy myself some more time.

B-O-O-O-O-M
    Stomach: rumble rumble rumble rumble

Six: Please, Lord...make it stop. I am so sick.

Ive never had the courage to go back to that place. Also too, I carry a 5 gallon bucket and tall kitchen garbage bag for the Monties.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Johnny99, you forgot the Fina on 28th St. off of 35w in Ft. Worth, Tx. Can you say class act? Me do miss Buds in Indy and the Dollar Motel across the street.......:biggrin_25520:

10. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    triplesix now thats what i call being prepared!!!haveing kitchen trashbags and the f#$%^ bucket in the truck and some airfreshner thats thinking out side the box !cause load knows that theres some so called resturants out there that will disagree the terms of eatable with your stomach!!!so be like a good boyscoutt and be prepare!!! cause triple six i have the same set up for incase of emergency bouwl movements,for a local tomaine factory!!!!

11. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I haven't been to that awful T/A in at least 8 or 9 years...and it obviously hasn't changed a bit. It is one of several truckstops that I simply refuse to even park in, let alone patronize.

And if the Kevin on this thread is the same Kevin on another trucking website, expect more of the same from him.

Kevin...go and be well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.