TA/Petro Lays Off 2,900 Field Employees & 122 @ Corporate

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Deadwood, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I'm sure this will lead to improved service at the truck stops. Fantastic.

mjd4277 and Deadwood Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They still expect drivers to pay to park ? Stop at the TA and you can have their new home style roller grill hotdogs. Ha Ha.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I can't imagine why TA is not drivers first choice in place to stop everything is so clean and nice.

IMG_20200411_235005939.jpg

6. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Pretty yucky, but I couldn't go OTR because they dont clean the showers worth a darn.

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I thought that was pretty sad because they talk about their how great their cleaning standards are. That's was the TA in Lamar PA, it's rough shape.

8. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    All the more reason to find a Mom & Pop truck stop!

Deadwood Thanks this.
  9. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Some of those are in even worse shape, though.

As for the original post in this thread... not that I'm defending nor advocating for TA/Petro in anyway (well, I do like Petro; it's the TAs I can't stand, but anyway), but people really need to watch the way in which they relay information...the article stated that they furloughed the 2900 & 122, not "laid off"; there actually is a difference between the two in that the former is temporary (generally speaking) while the latter is permanent. And for those who think this may be splitting hairs or "making too big a deal about this", bear in mind that this is exactly how fake news clickbaits you into their content, so let's not perpetuate that here if we can stand it, especially in this industry where there's already too much bad information being passed around as is. All I'm saying is let's be a little more responsible, for the sake of us all.

Now, as one who's both been furloughed before and as one who's both worked in and managed food service facilities in a previous life...man this sucks for the employees. Here I can separate my disdain for the corporate entity's business model/practices from the compassion I feel for the furloughed workers, while also understanding the tough business decision TA/Petro had to make... running any food service establishment us rough due to the many many rules, regulations and restrictions put in place (if there's one industry that may outdo trucking in terms of operating rules and restrictions, it's food service)-& then of course there's the problem of succumbing to the regulations of 48 different states (& AK too if there are any TA/Petros up there), so I do get it. At least (for now) those furloughed employees get to keep their benefits and coverages, so for them, at least that's a relief.

Truckermania and roshea Thank this.
  10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Well it’s not fake news, even Google was reporting it of all things. Never mind it was announced on T/A Petro’s website!In addition I just stopped at the T/A in Mocksville,N.C. and that place was a ghost town-the Country Pride was closed and taped up,they only had literally a handful of employees making sure the lights stay on,so to speak.

11. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

I think he means the difference in meanings on the words. Furloughed vs laid off/fired

Dont think he was calling the OP's post a fake story but that some sites would use "Fired" vs "Furlough" or Laid off vs, etc...I could see how it could be taken as Click bait if it says..."2500 fired at TA!" if they are furloughed. at lest that's how I took it. I could very well be wrong. If so, don't mind me an pass the popcorn. ;)

Sucks 2900 people are losing their jobs.. I don't care for a TA but I don't like seeing people without work. Work keeps people busy. Being busy keeps people from being stupid. Usually. ha!

Anyhow...stay busy, an not stupid!

Sirscrapntruckalot - In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.