Tackling an electrical issue...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by TallJoe, Sep 10, 2021.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    So I got this code MID 128 PID 111 FMI 3 - CUMMINS ISX - which indicates Low level coolant sensor, electrical fault. The truck is not derated or anything like that. Coolant level is good.
    The code would disappear for a few hours, even for a day or two and then comes back...
    I did replace the sensor - $80 and it did not help. I tested the new and the old with a multimeter for the continuity and they both are displaying the same resistance, which means that the old one was just as good as the new.
    I checked the continuity on the harness circuit to the sensor and there was no resistance, the loop was closed...
    What am I missing? What's the next step?
    The wires run in the bundle which I would hate to unwrap for the fear of compromising other wires, which might be too brittle due to time and wear. Perhaps, it is best to replace the whole engine harness but that's a major operation. It is annoying to see the check engine light....maybe it is better to ignore it...the coolant level is there...so why should I bother?
    Knowing myself, I won't ignore it...but kind of afraid to make myself a bigger problem while trying to resolve what seems to be only an annoyance.
    There are only 2 wires in the circuit...where specifically do they enter ECM, so it sends me a fault message? I was thinking running a test circuit to ECM directly from the sensor to see, if the problem is with the wires but then why would the continuity test not fail? Could it be the ECM itself? Or maybe I am doing the test the wrong way...I take the multimeter terminals into the plug pins and I read a value of 0 Ohms as opposed to LO, in case of an open circuit?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    D.Tibbitt and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I had a similar issue that started on my isx about a year ago with It throwing a cam position sensor code that would come and go and come and go and got worse when I got into a hard rain or had the truck washed ....finally about a month ago it turned into a hard miss as I was leaving home in omaha and turned around back to the shop .
    Put a new sensor in and the code cleared but came right back as it was being backed out of the shop , new engine harness installed for about 1650.00 and problem is gone .

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I think it is the best way to do it...
    At this stage, I am afraid that I touch one wire and crumble other 3 - more important ..causing more more significant faults.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Yeah mine started out last November as it would only happen occasionally and in a day or so it would clear and be gone so long I would forget about it , then early this summer it progressively more frequent until the miss started .

6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Low coolant level sensor is OEM responsiblity. What truck are we working on?

Make model and year?

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    it is volvo isx 2009

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Can you just install a new wire outside of the harness so you don't have to unwrap it?

AModelCat and bzinger Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    That's a good question.
    I don't have a diagram and I am not sure where the wire ends exactly...

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. biopure22

biopure22 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2021
  11. biopure22

biopure22 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I have wire diagram also,im trying to download it so I can send it to you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.