Taking test for CDL permit do I need my physical before, or after

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BIGLEFTYINTX, Oct 12, 2018.

1. BIGLEFTYINTX

BIGLEFTYINTX Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Got a few questions, do I get medical card at time of taking test for permit or does that happen when getting actual CDL license?

How many questions are on each test ?
    I'm looking to getting into tankers , so I'll guess I'll have to take general , air brakes , combination and then takers . I hear Texas has an additional test to take as well. Curious as to how many questions are on each test

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RicoNC

RicoNC Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Raleigh/Clayton, NC
    Yes, you will need to have your physical done BEFORE hand... if I remember correctly it should be 50 for general, 25 for combination,20 air and 15 or 20 for tankers... which of course that will vary from state to state... are you planning on taking Hazmat?

4. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Yup. They won’t let you sit down at the computer without medical card.

5. BIGLEFTYINTX

Nov 20, 2017
    More then likely I'll take hazmat.

Seriously though , should a beginner start off on smooth bore tankers ? Hopefully I'm not getting in over my head

6. VinnyVincent

VinnyVincent Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Make sure you show up EARLY to take your test. I just tried going twice in the afternoon and I still have to go back. The first time was "after their cut off time" to take a test, so they processed me. The second day I came back at 2:30, didn't get to take the test until 4p.m., which I took in 10 minutes, then stood there for another 20 waiting on them to service another customer. Once I got to the counter, he acknowledged that I passed and said "alright just come back in monday".
    Yeah, apparently if any of the test sections aren't started before 4:30, they make you come back...so I waited over 2 hours on two separate visits to complete a 20 question section. At the speed most of these places move, it seems like you'd want to get there before opening to be able to take all of your endorsements.

7. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    I see you're in TX too, so these rules would probably apply at your DPS office too. I'm in Houston and also am looking to start out driving tankers.

Also, the TX rules and regulations will be the first test you have to pass to move on and it's 20 questions. You have to get 14 right to pass. It's actually kind of tough, because it has some real off the wall questions regarding things like tractors, and animal powered vehicles. Make sure you study and take some practice tests on it. I would have failed for sure if I didn't.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Smooth bores is a special form of tanking.

My school of tanking.

Buy large coffee. Tall. No lid.

Put it ahead of your cab floor shifter.

Drive. Dont you spill it.

You will notice differences in handling the liquid in starting and stopping, there is a certain type of behavior that you will compenstate for. A trainer will teach you those things.

First things first. DOT medical. IF all is well and you did not get a 3 month card, you are pretty golden. If you got a 3 month card, that is a fair warning to find a doctor capable of fixing the issue that limited you to 90 days, you might not get another.

Then permit.

Then work on the Hazmat, you will be interviewed by TSA/Homeland Security in Person for threat assessment (I'm serious, things have chanced since 911) and it will be up to 2 months before you get a yes or no to take to DMV to get your hazmat stamped on.

The permit is for school learning to drive a big truck. You really don't need more than airbrake, general etc. You can get the rest of the jewelry added on later with the full CDL in tests.

School teaches you just enough to drive a truck in a state test successfully. You will experience some stress in learning new things. Have trouble with maybe backing etc. It's a journey.

Good luck. (And boy howdy, are you gonna need it. ///TEASE...)

9. BIGLEFTYINTX

Nov 20, 2017
    Anyone know of a website or app that has pretests for the Texas test ? I've been using multiple websites and apps to help me with testing , but haven't found one that goes over the special test Texas require a

10. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    FREE Texas Special Requirements CDL Practice Test 2018

Make sure you can pass that one consistently with 90-95%. I found the real test a little more difficult.

11. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I don’t mind smooth bore tanks. It’s all i ever pulled. Nob of our tank wagons had baffles. You’ll learn light steady pressure on them brakes and don’t even bother downshifting to stop, you’ll get beat up for that one. Easy on the fuel, learn to time your shifts, take it easy on the curves.

Now if you have a smooth bore doble conical(sp) now they are the bees knees:). My favorite type of tank for sure. With all that liquid down low, they hug the road.

Man i miss my tank wagons. Y’all making me sad:(

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.