Taking the plunge next month and have some questions for you vets

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by kanidana, Sep 1, 2014.

1. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Hi, I'm coming over to JCT to do the lease thing. I've got a few questions.

How is the support staff on Sundays at 3am? If you break down, do they assist you with towing to a shop or are you on your own?

What receipts should I hold onto for taxes? Do I need to keep all food and hotel receipts or is it better to do the perdiem thing?

How much should I hold back for taxes every month?

Do they provide any of the little things like a thermometer for checking pulp temps, etc.?

How many drop yards and full terminals do they have?

Are empties hard to get or are they abundant?

Are the miles consistent year around or do you have some major dry spells?

That's all I can think of for now and I thank you in advance for your time and any replies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    I hope I answered your questions for you. If you have any others just ask.

4. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I'm currently sitting at Kroger in Houston which brought to mind another question, are the docks that JCT drivers experience typically more difficult than non-reefer freight? I struggled here to get in my door. Backing has always been my weakness and even after 3 years of driving, I still find that tight docks under pressure, and blind side docks in any circumstances are very difficult. I've had two experiences in 3 years where a yard guy put the trailer in the door for me. I had one very nerve wracking experience in Washington DC. I had to blind side off the street at a building right next to the Holocaust museum and even with 3 guys on he ground guiding me, I backed up traffic so bad that one of the irritated drivers started a fight with one of the ground guides and the police were called. They've never sent me to the northeast again.

I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. Thanks.

5. MachoCyclone

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    Most of the docks I have been to are not to bad. Typical grocery warehouses. We do go to some places that will challenge you. I have to a few of those over in the bay area of California. Had to back in off the street and another place was built for straight truck and day cab with pup trailers.

kanidana Thanks this.
  6. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    So the question to ask is if Kroger in Houston, TX is a typical grocery warehouse. I've been to a few, but none this tight. If anybody has been to this warehouse and could give me a comparison to "typical" I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking Walmart grocery DC in Casa Grande, AZ as typical.

THanks again.

7. MachoCyclone

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    By typical I mean they have good space for trucks to get in and out of the docks. We do run a lot of loads out of Tyson plants and those can be a PITA to drop your trailer. The Tyson in Center, Tx comes to mind on a place that can be (not all the time) a PITA to drop a trailer.

kanidana Thanks this.
  8. Wifeofdz

Wifeofdz Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Hello,

My hubby is thinking about coming on board and he last year did an L/p with another co. That only lasted him 5 months. The co did not give him good miles and most checks were take home a big fat 0. in the red so he gave it all up. Now he is thinking about doing it again but this time with JCT. As a wife at home I am a bit nervous and have a few questions. First is how many years do most of the drivers have with JCT? and how many average miles can you expect to run? I have read a lot on here the good and the not so good. And with every company there is good and bad. I know my hubby can run he has proved that. But does JCT have good DM that will keep a person running the miles. He works now as a CO driver and only averages about 1800 miles a week. He's checks right now as a Co driver are around 500 take home. I would like to know what an average take home check would be for him if he does make this decision minus the truck payments and fuel ect. I guess I am uneasy since the last time he did this l/p with another firm last year I had no way to know what his checks were going to be til the day of pay and check his settlement only to find out he has no check and also owned them for next week a negative balance. So if there are anyone on here that still works for JCT and how long have you worked for them and please be up front and honest with the company the good and the bad. I want hubby to make a good decision for his family and don't want him to fail at this. I know this is treated as a business and you get what you put in but what about support. Are the staff and dm and everyone in the company supportive? Thanks looking forward to hearing positive feedback

9. reeferflunkie

reeferflunkie Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Sooner or later you are going to have docks that are challenging. ..if you don't like backing up ...I suggest flatbed...no dock doors...and better pay...no 2 a.m. deliveries...

10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Do you realize that he's A veterinarian and has to go wherever the sick animals are.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.