Talk me out of it

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pismelled, Nov 16, 2010.

1. pismelled

pismelled Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Vancouver, Washington
    I'm currently attending trucking school, and doing quite well. I take my CDL skills test in the morning, and am sure to pass. I love trucking, and it seems to come quite naturally to me. I did experience the lifestyle briefly 13 years ago, and loved it.

The school I'm attending seems to have a specialty ... put new owner/operators on the road. They want to put me in a truck with one of their O/O's after I graduate. I would spend the first week (or two) working in exchange for "room and board", and the next couple of months "learning the ropes" of driving a flatbed, and saving up money for a down-payment. When I'm ready, I would buy the truck I've been driving from my teammate and continue on solo.

I've been agonizing over my situation for weeks, and have read so many posts on the internet that it makes my head go numb just thinking about doing yet another search. So, I decided to post here instead.

I would love to get some opinions on this situation I landed in ... is it stupid of me to trust this company? Or could this be a dream-come-true? Is it realistic to think that I could team with an O/O for a couple months and save up enough to buy my own truck - while paying a mortgage and supporting a family too?

Any and all advice is welcome.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    DONT be a dumb ###. you know nothing of this business. it will chew u up and spit you out. 3/4 of the experienced people cant make it as owner operators. go read pharmphail's thread, he thought he vould too. made every stupid rookie mistake possible and invented a few more. so much for that college degree he thought so highly of.

you school sound like one huge peramid scam

wc5b and outerspacehillbilly Thank this.
  4. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Sharecropper. :biggrin_2559: In exchange for room and board and a little bit of money.

I would run away from this but it sounds like you are already their. Let us now how it works out but I would not by a truck from them. Get your CDL and training and pass on buying a truck. In my personal opinion you need to have some trucking experience and learn the business before buying one.

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  5. Left Lane Trucking

Left Lane Trucking Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Statesville, NC
    ok..... I agree with Medicine man ...... I'm not saying you can't do it.... but there's alot to it and if your straight out of school I just don't think you have enough experience in it.....its just one of those things its best to learn while gettin paid things....then make a decision...and yes it does sound alittle fishy and I'm new to this business...... If its what you want get a few years in and see how it all works first then check around for the best deal or way to get into it....

6. Bent Wrench

Bent Wrench Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Cornholio, OR
    How about some facts?
    School name and location?
    Recent graduates?
    Past graduates? (who aren't related to the current instructors/owners)
    Where is the freight coming from and what does it pay?
    What does the purchase contract look like?

inquiring minds and all that...

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You know nothing about the toughest business to succeed in that there is. You know nothing about class 8 CMVs, yet you are being led into the purchase of something that could be a total disaster.

Get your CDL, and run from this shyster outfit as fast as you can! Find a carrier that will bring you on as a company driver, and figure this trucking stuff out before you tie a semi to your neck and jump into the deep end.

8. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Red flags everywhere. You are working two weeks for free, you are going with another O/O for a couple of months, for probably slave wages. Next, you are going to buy the truck you are training in. What is happening to the O/O that is driving that truck now? Why is he selling it? If he is making so much money, why does he need to take on a trainee to make engs meet.

If you know nothing about mechanics or trucks, you are one breakdown away from loosing everything you own. Many mechanics can't even fix these new complicated trucks. How many hours of paying $120.00 per hour, while someone tries to figure out what is wrong, and then not fixing the problem, can you afford.

There needs to be a lot more information on this arrangement, but from what I see, run. This is also a very bad time of year. Rates are going down, and freight will be slow until spring, maybe longer if things get wrose with the economy. There will be spurts here and there as companies have to restock every now and then, but I see no steady climb in freight for at least 6=8 months, and that is being optimistic.

People look at spurts in freight, and think things are getting better. But, everything wears out eventually, and has to be replaced. Those spurts are just replacing what had to be purchased. WalMart even had a decline in sales this quarter of almost 2% in US stores open more than a year.

9. Yeah, they have a specialty, alright. Put new O/O's on the road and then take the truck back when they fail and do it to another poor hopeful.

There's so many red flags there, I'm not even sure I've seen them all in the same place. They have O/O's that buy trucks, train new drivers/potential truck buyers (really, victims), and then SELL that truck after a couple of months? WTF? Really? Who are these O/O's that buy a new truck every few months to sell to another trainee? Who gets to take the hit on the depreciation? My guess is everybody but the company. Work free for two weeks? Don't think so. Learn the ropes in a couple of months? You may learn how to tie yourself a noose. That's about all you're going to learn about them ropes. Don't do it.

If you think you are agonizing now.........wait until you buy a truck! Don't do it!!

Yes. Or any company that has some sort of scheme to sell you a truck before you've been properly trained to drive. NO, a few months isn't enough!! Don't do it.

It is for the company. They're going to transfer all the costs of the truck right to you. They'll pay nothing. You'll have worked for free, bought a used truck from them, that they'll likely, very likely, get back and sell again. They'll get their freight hauled by someone working for free, and paying the expenses. More like a nightmare for you. NEVER buy/lease a truck from the ones who decide what you're going to do with it. Don't do it.

Not without experience. Not in a truck purchase, training, and working for free scheme. Not when the evidence shows that people who get wrapped up in this type of scam fail FAR more than they succeed. Don't do it.

I'm with the others. DON'T DO IT!! Too many red flags. Too much history of this being a disaster for too many. Too many inconsistencies in the plan. Are you already tied up with them in a situation where you have to work for them to pay for your training? Are they going to try to PUSH you, relentlessly, into truck ownership. The word ownership is used very loosely here.

You may be able to make owning a truck work, but you need experience and the chance to decide what you will do with your truck where. This ain't it. Without knowing all the details, I think most anybody who's ever bought truck parts and maintained a truck will tell you NO. With the info you've provided, there isn't much that could make this better, or even close to a deal where most experienced O/O's would go anywhere near it. DON'T DO IT.

I don't think I'd even want to be associated with the company. You already know they'll screw you if they have a chance.

lowjo Thanks this.
  10. pismelled

pismelled Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Vancouver, Washington
    Thank you all for your responses. It seems to be a majority vote to pass on this "opportunity" ... and I have taken all the advice to heart so far.

However, and please don't see this as me simply being dense, it also seems that the majority vote assumes that a) I am a moron, and b) this has got to be a scam.

I am not a moron ... although I AM very inexperienced. I do have about 8 months of over-the-road experience (no, not enough to make an informed decision) and loved everything about it except being controlled by my company. I loved it enough that I'm getting my CDL again, but this time I'm trying to create a better situation than I had previously.

I didn't realize my previous post would be so misleading, and for that I apologize. I would like to clarify a few points:

As a company driver, I would make apx. $300 per week during training, which lasts 1-3 weeks. It's my understanding that this will just cover my living expenses while on the road. Yea, it's a better deal, but still basically working in exchange for "room and board".

I don't know why an O/O would take me on and train me, especially driving a flat-bed in the off-season. I also don't know what kind of wages they would pay ... it would be something I would have to work out with the O/O privately. It's my understanding that teaming up, for me, would be to learn the details of being an owner-operator, and saving up enough for a down-payment and such.

Whatever truck I buy, it would need to be privately financed. The school's involvement is over when I graduate. I would not be obligated to purchase the truck I was training in, and the O/O would not be obligated to sell ... but I would be paired up with someone who has the same understanding of the situation as I have.

Where the "catch" lies, I believe, is that the owner of the school also owns the broker company (not sure about my terminology here) that I would get my loads from, once on my own. However, there is no obligation for me to work with them, even if I take the offer of team driving and/or buy a truck.

There is no promise, or even hint, that I would be able to train someone later and sell them my truck. Other students have not gotten this offer. It's been presented to me as though I'm simply in the right place at the right time, and one of the drivers is ready to upgrade their truck.

BentWrench, I don't know the answers to most of your questions, and may have already answered some of them in my rant above. The school's name is YY Truck Driver Training. They are an accredited school, and on the state of Washington's list of approved schools. The school has been in business for 1 1/2 years, and is very small. It's my understanding that most (if not all) of their previous graduates are friends/family.

When the school first opened, they had 15 trucks. As students graduated, they stayed on driving for YY Trucking in the same trucks they trained in. At some point, the owner decided to sell off all the trucks, and every one of his drivers opted to purchase the truck they were driving and become owner operators.

YY Trucking is who would dispatch loads. Pay is based per load, and depends on what is being hauled. I don't believe they have any dedicated accounts with shippers. The drivers pay a commission to YY Trucking for finding them loads.

I would not buy a truck from YY. I would need to get my own financing, and can find my own truck. If I did buy the truck I team in, the details would be worked out with the O/O and my bank.

I have spoken with two drivers who did not attend the school, but now work for YY Trucking. They both rave about how great the company is, almost like they are on a commission (and no, neither of them will be teaming with me, or selling their trucks).

On a final note, the school is not pushing anything. All they did was offer. They also offered to let me use YY Trucking as a reference should I decide to be a company driver somewhere else. Again, not sure of the details in this offer, and not sure if it would help.

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    why do people insist on coming on here and asking quesons when they already have the answers? I'll never understand.

no offense but you are being a moron and that last post proves it. Failing in trucking is probably 75% gauranteed with experience. It will ruin your life when you are bankrupt, in debt and loose the truck..

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.