Talk me out of Linde

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by scott180, Aug 11, 2022.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    The Linde Group
    Team Driver in Magna & Price - $20,000 Sign-On Bonus!
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Team Driver in Magna & Price - $20,000 Sign-On Bonus! - Salt Lake City, UT - Indeed.com

I always seem to like to take the devils advocate approach to big decisions like a major career move. If the argument against something doesn't dissuade me then at least I know what I'm getting myself into.

My other options are XPO, OD, R+L, FXF in my area.
    I'm looking to crack $100k while still seeing my wife.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I’m not sure if Linde owns AirGas or who owns what, but I think they have very strict rules. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing, I don’t. Years ago when I worked LTL in St. Louis we had a driver start who was at AirGas for like 10 years. He said he got out at a stop, opened the gate, got back in his truck, drove thru said gate, and then got out and closed it. When he got back they fired him because he didn’t put his seatbelt on when driving the truck through the gate. But who knows man. That could be all BS. He might have been smokin a cigar flicking ashes out his window on his nitrogen tank while doin 78 mph through a school construction zone, and that story just sounded better. I think the money is there for sure though.

Speed_Drums, scott180 and Chieftains Thank this.
  4. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Air Liquide owns Airgas. Linde and Praxair are the same company now.

I used to pull out of the Airgas Salt Lake City ASU. Praxair had won over a large account from Airgas and I suspect that maybe what the hiring is for. Apparently Praxair was going have to source some product from the Pacific Northwest. (Seattle/Portland area).

scott180 Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @scott180 --

For what it's worth--if you are still having back issues, your other options listed above (all in the LTL world) will NOT be a good fit for you.

The cryo option will be a much better choice, given your situation.

If my homework is correct--setting up/breaking down a set of LTL doubles is NOT a good situation for someone who is looking for a place to give their back a break (no pun intended--honest! :p).

Imagine having to do that in bad weather--or in a parking lot that isn't level--or even paved (or maybe even all of this :().

Thus--if you can actually stand the team job, and you can get it--then take it (and then KEEP it--for at least a year).

All this assumes that the team job with them will in fact later let you "pivot" to a local, home-daily gig. :oops:

--Lual

RockinChair and scott180 Thank this.
  6. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    A driver didn't setup just right at a Shell terminal (gasoline) and had to hop in his truck and pull forward about a foot to get the loading headers to hookup correctly. Didn't put his seat belt on for that one foot drive. Yup Shell permanently locked him out. They don't give you any leeway on the rules. I'd believe the guy.

Following rules doesn't bother me but I have to admit that the attitude of just get it done that I have at my current job is nice. I currently work for a great company. I just wish the money was there for a retirement so I could stay.
    Once they get it registered they are putting me in a 2023 truck. They're good people.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  7. scott180

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Very good point about the back. I was thinking the hoses might be hard but you're right, hooking up the dollies in the winter could be a PIA.

They give a $10k highering/retention bonus at six months and again at twelve months. Definitely good motivation to stay at least a year. I have a mild temper and I'm kinda tolerant towards BS but being with a stranger in confined space still worries me a little.

If it's a cute lady co-driver I'd probably enjoy it more but it'd scare me a little. I'd remain a gentleman not just because I was raised right but because my wife built her own AR and knows how to use it.;)

homeskillet and RockinChair Thank this.
  8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Talk you out.

Ok, don’t work for someone you can’t pronounce their name.
    You don’t t really want the stress and headaches if changing jobs again, do you?

scott180 Thanks this.
  9. Yank the Tank

Yank the Tank Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2022
    All the cryo companies are notoriously strict. They love to fire people for failing to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. I interviewed once at airgas. It was a large room with like 5 people staring at me the whole time; it was like being in front of the parole board.

They called back, but I never followed up. Talked to too many cryo drivers with too many horror stories.

Speed_Drums and motocross25 Thank this.
  10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I won't try to talk you out of it or talk you into it but I will tell you yeah, it's a dangerous profession. They have rules and if you can't follow their rules you won't last long. Better to be aware of what you're walking into prior to signing on.
    A firing from a reputable company w a stellar safety record doesn't do alot to advance one's career.
    You can also buy your own truck and make your own rules.

I don't find it too hard to do but we're all different in that regard.

RockinChair and scott180 Thank this.
  11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @scott180 --

If you would like another nearby cryo option that is not a team situation, with less anal management...but still pays really well, you might check this one out:

CDL A Truck Driver - Salt Lake City, UT - Indeed.com

I've seen reviews online showing where cryo drivers with this division seem to be happy.

--Lual

scott180 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.