Tandem pins not engaging on a new trailer?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lostmykey, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    I’ve got the air release pins; while inspecting a new trailer, I noted only 2 of the 4 were engaged. The other pins would pop-in. I tried sliding, engaging them in multiple positions, and wiggling to no avail. I sprayed wd 40 as well; the pins looked out of alignment. Any suggestions?
    6A55397F-4D1D-4059-ADC2-C7980884064B.jpeg 23428965-8BF6-4164-8644-01C1B96FC91E.jpeg
    Pictures aren’t really that good.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You'll be fine with just 2.

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I’ve seen where they are offset a bit on purpose so when they do pop into place then the bogies are aligned straight.
    Just try driving around the parking lot making left and right turns. They should pop into place then.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    This^^^

Also, make sure you are on level ground.

tscottme, slow.rider and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I would not ride with that without a go from the company. On old trailers we used to spray them with a water hose to help them slide a bit. Had to use tire chalks at times.

7. Lostmykey

Oct 6, 2019
    Yes, that occurred to me. I did move it back and forth in the spot. The place was pretty tight and I didn’t do turns with it. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get it back in a hole once I pulled out.

I called my company on what to do and they were adamant on me not driving with it until all the pins engaged; not even to the truck stop 3mi away. I spent about an hour on it, maybe I should’ve reported after I arriving at the truck stop.

Noting that only 2 of the pins were engaged to begin with was a bit of a red flag to me. Trailer was mfg this year and I’ve slid others from this year with no problems. If sliding them empty didn’t engage them, would being loaded change anything?

Company called for a tech; I dropped the trl and bobtailed up to the truck stop to wait.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  8. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    The two engaged pins are right on the edge, and don't look all the way out. You did rock it with the trailer brakes set, right?

Looked again. Rear pins out fully, front pins pinched by slider rail. Setting the trailer brakes and backing up should have remedied that.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yep, if not, try driving in reverse then pushing clutch in and applying trailer brakes only, that should move it. I had the same set up on my last Great Dane. It was great, till it wasn’t. Always had one stuck, till I ran it down the road a bit. Once had to fix it at the scale, before I could leave. The only reason I wasn’t OOS, is because the DOT Lady saw Me pick a rock from my tires tread. Said She rides a Motorcycle, and appreciated that. Lol.

Bean Jr. and Big Road Skateboard Thank this.
  10. Lostmykey

Oct 6, 2019
    Yep, one side looked like it was almost wanted to come out and play; the other side had more overlap with the rail and seemed like an alignment issue. The picture of that side isn’t great.

I tried to set it up so that the front set of pins would engage first when sliding but they never did.

11. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Yeah. Those pins are pinched. Just need to be moved to get the pressure off the pins and they'll pop out.

Service guy ain't gonna get it done either unless he gets the yard dog to hook up to it. Or Service guy will charge even more and bring a truck over. Keep that in mind next time and I bet you'll be rollin.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.