Tandem pins will not retract, lack of air pressure?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Subutai, May 12, 2016.

1. Subutai

Subutai Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Hey guys, I've been having this problem where I'll press or pull the knob on the tandems to get the pins to retract, and the air pressure is so weak they only move maybe 1/4 of the way in.

The last few times I actually drove down the street a ways and the pressure seemed to build up and I was able to slide them. This time that solution isn't working. My rubber seals on the glad hands are in good shape and my air pressure is normal. My breaks work fine too.

I searched everywhere for answers with no luck. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Have you tried holding the knob out? Some of our trailers have worn out knobs that you have to hold out to actually exhaust the air to retract them.

Subutai Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I have found that on a few trailers with troublesome air-actuated pins, that it helps to completely "air up" the trailer system [and bags] then pull the red button and immediate go back and release the pins, and if they don't all retract then, then immediately rock the trailer back and forth gently to unbind them and you should hopefully hear a "thunk" when they [all] retract.

A trailer that has been parked will probably not realease upon pushing the release button because it does not have sufficient pressure available to overcome the springs.

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I normally just rock it a bit .. If you have to drive to get air into to system I think you have other issues I'd be scared of brakes locking up if you had to get on and off them a few times if it's so slow to air up tanks

Dave_in_AZ, northernhopper and Subutai Thank this.
  6. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I always wait until the pressure is built up on the truck.

Never have an issue when I wait.
    I usually hook up hoses first then release trailer brake. Got plenty of air by the time I finish up the rest.

7. Subutai

Subutai Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Well, I was "that guy" today driving across Michigan with my tandems all the way to the rear.

I used everyone's advice when I got to the shipper, and they retracted finally. Still a bit confused on how these work tho. Does compressed air push the pins in both directions? Or is it air one way and a spring the other?

Anyway thank you guys very much for the advice. It helped me and hopefully it'll help others.

8. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Can be a air leak, bad regulator valve, you name it.

The above advice is all I've ever had to do on the air ones, though I've had a stuck evacuation valve I had to jury rig to get the thing to release.

Yes the tandem pins have constant spring pressure out.

On old school pins if you get a broken arm you have to manually take the spring out and put it back in to move the bloody things.

x1Heavy and Subutai Thank this.
  9. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    The problem is/gets worse when the air bags drop right away.

Subutai Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Mine has the same problem sometimes.
    Like others have said, air it up fully. Then pull red button and hustle back there and pull the button.

Sometimes they refuse to go in, usually under a heavy load that needs the axles to be slid a few holes. I carry 2 wheel chocks and put my 4 way lockers in and use Low or reverse only and very easy, it will force them to move or push the wheel chocks. For some reason, I find putting the chocks in front of the right front set of duals seems to work best. No idea why.

Subutai Thanks this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It's possible the pins have friction against the slider assembly. Often times driving, braking the tandems are slightly 'back' and the pins are under pressure. So what you have to do is pull the little valve button, get back in and back up to release pressure off the pins so they will retract. Then you can slide around forward or back.

Subutai Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.