Tanker breaks in half

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by haz-matguru, May 10, 2019.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Man,H-town has bad luck or no luck at all!! If it isn’t spools on the loose it’s hazmat spills!!

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Seems like some one wasnt paying attention to their pretrips. Or skipping on pretrips altogether.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Not sure how a pretrip would have prevented that, maybe only loaded the center compartment.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  5. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Sodium bromide is not regulated for transport. It is a salt, similar to sodium chloride, that white cubic crystalline stuff they leave in shakers on the tables at Denny's so you can sprinkle on your eggs. OK, it's not for eating, but it is used as a medicine for grand mal seizures in children, but only when other medicines that are less toxic are not effective. It is used for other chemical stuff that chemists do too, of course.

Hmm, let's look in the red book. The placard says UN3266: corrosive liquid, basic, inorganic, n.o.s., class 8 corrosive. So not sodium hydroxide (aka caustic, aka UN1824) and not sodium bromate (UN 1494, an oxidizer, class 5.1).

I'm pretty sure the reporter got it wrong, except for the part when he said "unknown chemical" and "they're cleaning it up." And I only see one hole on the top of that tanker, so it's not sodium bromide plus some other chemical. Maybe the sodium part is right, but not the rest.

Crude Truckin', disoba and Humblepie Thank this.
  6. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I only see one crash box on top of that tanker, so I think there's only one compartment.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  7. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Or maybe did a crappy job when they did the annual inspection. Or maybe loaded a stainless steel tank with something that required a rubber-lined tank so it wouldn't eat through the metal while the guy was driving down the road. Maybe. The shippers I've been to are usually careful about that part, but everyone has those mornings when they didn't get enough coffee and they might skip steps in the process without noticing it.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  8. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    How about the simplest, bad weld job, or metal fatigue!

tommymonza, Bud A. and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    But wouldn’t a pretrip catch that ?

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    HOW, it held until it didn't, I doubt they would ave been running it if it was leaking from a crack or whatever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.