Tanker jobs in chicago for recent grad

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by 1mrcloudy, Oct 16, 2012.

1. 1mrcloudy

1mrcloudy Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey I was wondering if anybody knows of any companies that hire recent grads for tanker jobs. I just got my cdl two weeks ago and have applied with may trucking but its taking a long time for them to set me up for orientation. My wifes uncle works in new mexico driving tankers and told me I should head over there, only problem is I know I might have to get a place over there and im here in chicago paying a house mortgage here. So dont know how that would work out. Im looking to do o.t.r. So being away is being away is not a problem as long as the wife is able to ride with me once in a while. Anybody out there have any suggestions besides Schineider??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tank4life

tank4life Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Just start knocking on doors with resume in hand and present yourself well. Most of the companies want 2 yrs exp before hiring you for a tanker job, but the terminal manager has a lot to say in who gets hired. About every major player in the tank industry plus a large # of smaller ones have terminals in and around Chicago, so you should be able to find something. Do it in person, it is harder for them to blow you off if you are standing in their offices, go in looking professional with a copy of your MVR and your resume. Most of the companies are located at or near a tankwash, so you should be able to hit multiple locations in a single day.

1mrcloudy Thanks this.
  4. 1mrcloudy

1mrcloudy Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks for the tip on the tankerwash, i didnt think about that. tomorrow ill get a copy of my MVR. I got rejected over the phone when i tried to call on ads i saw on the newspaper and internet, they always told me the same that i needed experience first and that if it was up to them they would hire me, but that the insurance was too expensive. Is that true?

5. TRKRSHONEY

TRKRSHONEY Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Insurance is a major issue for any trucking company when hiring drivers. My guess is that it would be even more so for tankers due to the additional hazard of learning to drive safely with your load constantly surging.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FFE has a tanker division in Texas. driveffe.com
    Texas is a good state to re-locate to also, no personal income tax.
    Texas is one of only nine states with no personal income tax.

7. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida

If you're dead set on driving tank take your wife's uncle up on the offer. If you have an "in" such as a family connection, take full advantage of it. It can shorten the learning curve for you by a few years and get you experience in tanker right off the bat. Once you get a year or two under your belt out in NM you will more than likely be able to get back to Chi town and get with a tanker company there. If you really want to drive tanker the only thing stopping you is you.

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    The wife riding along probably won't happen with Chemicals. Too much security at plants.

SHC Thanks this.
  9. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida

Yea, I'm not aware of tanker companies that have rider programs.

10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I believe Superior Carriers might. I know QC, Heineff, A&R and Miller require 2 years experience OTR (not tanker) so you might have to go with a non-tanker job out the gate to get the experience. Tankers are a very delicate being, and not really a good place for a newbie to be starting out. Not saying you are not capable, but sometimes it's just good to learn the gravy equipment(vans) before moving onto specialized stuff.

Schneider is about the only one's I know of who will take a newbie, but their training and work is very good. You'll learn all you need to know there, and after a year you can move on. They are a good company

shriner75 Thanks this.
  11. Gorgeous George

Gorgeous George Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Where I need to be.
    Being as your wife's uncle is in New Mexico....what outfit does he drive for. I am thinking milk hauling....but I could be wrong. Now.....IF you want to learn tanking and you want the ability for your wife to ride along...milk ....or food grade....wouldn't be a bad choice. Indian River, Bynum, Oakley.....all food grade and all will train "Rookies". I am trying to think of a food grade outfit that has a terminal around Chicago.......

You could check with Cargill and ADM. They both have tanking operations in the Chicago area. As was stated earlier.....go in person, do not call. Take the time to research where they are located, then drive out there looking professional and acting professional.

There are many companies that will train you as a "Rookie" to do tanking. But...You do have to search them out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.