Tanker percentage pay

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by fngmoto, Apr 13, 2022.

1. fngmoto

fngmoto Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Very much so, that why ive decided to get into it.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Linehaul is the money that the company charges the shipper (or broker) for hauling the product. This number, multiplied by a percentage, is what determines the driver's pay.

Fuel surcharges and other accessorials are added to the invoice so that the company can recoup costs of fuel, tolls, washouts, making extra stops, running pumps/compressors, etc. These are usually not included in a driver's or O/O's percentage calculation. But FSC is often passed through to O/Os, and other accessorials may be paid to company drivers and/or O/Os as well separate from the linehaul percentage calculation.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    Reason for edit: Corrected a typo
    CAXPT Thanks this.
  4. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I knew this odd girl in SF..... never mind, I kinda wish I didn't know that "special" thing she did. :confused:

I get 25% of the fuel surcharge. If it's part of the payment I get 25%.
    I also don't pay for washouts, oil changes or new tires. That's all just part of operating a truck.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  5. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I'm a company driver that is primarily paid CPM. Some of our shorter loads are paid by percentage but we aren't told what the percentage is or the full rate charged to the customers.

I suppose I could ask, but if I had that much distrust in the first place I am not sure if I would believe whatever rate they showed me anyway. Luckily I don't do percentage loads very often as there is no per diem allowance on them so I wind up paying more in taxes.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  6. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    Wait wait wait. Did you sign on to a tanker 1099 deal or W2? What company? Companies can manipulate load prices from a process called double brokering, among other ways to short pay. If you don’t get the take home you expect you should change. That is why almost everyone will tell you to do a year with a mega first. Without that year experience you have almost no leverage and even less understanding of prevailing wages.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  7. fngmoto

Jan 19, 2022
    I haven’t signed anything yet. Company is tidewater. I’ve heard good things from several people about them.

8. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    Tidewater is a very good starting company!

RevKev, fngmoto and CAXPT Thank this.
  9. fngmoto

Jan 19, 2022
    Thanks for the info, I keep hearing the same thing about Tidewater. Does ease some of the anxiety for me a bit.

10. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    After the linehaul, who gets some or all of the accesorial charges is usually a big grey area with owner operators.

Some think the carrier shouldn't get a % of the fuel surcharge when the lease operator is paying for the fuel or uses his tractor pump, etc. though some compensation for the carrier's back office collecting that surcharge, etc. should be considered.

A 'company' driver is not usually buying the fuel and didn't fit his truck with pump or compressor or blower to unload the bosses shipments so compensation should be based on the linehaul and paid hourly or by the mile on a W-2.

If you are getting paid percentage on a Form 1099 you are miss-classified as an owner operator without the contract but all the financial personal responsibilties are coming out your pocket and you have little in the way of leverage regarding how much the boss says the % is in dollars and cents.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    That's big-time illegal, regardless of whether it's done by brokers, carriers, or both

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.