Tanker Questions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rbmc20, Nov 21, 2009.

1. rbmc20

rbmc20 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Virginia
    Ok guys.. just looking for some info on tankers... smooth bore tankers to be exact... if anyone here has pulled them i would love to know any info you can share. i could take a job picking up milk and the guy said that he would let me ride with one of his drivers to give me an idea of what they do. I would be home everyday... i searched but didn't really come up with anything that really helped... Thanks for any replies

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Just be as smooth as you can be when shifting and braking. Stay behind the line about 10 feet and when stopped always keep your brake on. If you have to stop real fast be aware there's going to be another push that can move you forward then another and so on. Put a glass of water up on the dash fill it 3/4 full and drive and don't spill a drop. You'll just use to it and you should be paid better than most. Peronally I'd much rather haul gasoline. To me it's safer.

rbmc20 Thanks this.
  4. rbmc20

rbmc20 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks Gashauler

5. mike76

mike76 Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2009
    mesa,Arizona
    I haul milk here in Az. When you get to the dairy. You check the silos for amount of milk it has. We went by pounds here. not gals. What ever the gauge say the silo has. you time that by 7.6 if i remember right. That will tell you how many pounds there is. Then you check the temp of the milk. After that you run a hose from the silo to the tank. Before you do any thing. make sure the top lid is open. Open the val on the tank and turn on the pump and the val to the silo. We had different type of tankers. some hold more then other. It a long hours job. The dairy run 24 hours a day. it was a easy job, but long hours.

rbmc20 Thanks this.
  6. Rwsj

Rwsj Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Fallon, Nev.
    2 things I learned about haulin milk ,
    If you have a less then full load it's gonna hurt.
    Cows don't use log books.

rbmc20 Thanks this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You have to be smooth on acceleration, shifting and braking. Corners you really want to take it easy on also. The biggest surge is front to rear. Do not ever back off the brake at a red light. You will end up crossing the intersection.

rbmc20 Thanks this.
  8. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Those milk trailers look to have about a 7,000 gallon capacity. If milk is 7.6lbs a gallon and you got say 50,000lbs of it, thats 6,578 gallons. Thats not to bad a surge for a smooth bore. With a day cab and a stainless steel, insulated trailer you'll probobly get on 53 thousand and fill it. Might not be a surge to speak of but i'll tell you how to drive with a dense product in a smooth bore.
    Always start in your lowest gear, Give it almost no throttle when shifting, shift smoothly and progressively with low RPM's in the lower gears and give yourself plenty of distance from those in front of you. You should also shift with the surge meaning shift when the product is surging forward and use the momentum of it to shift smoothly. Trying to shift against the surge can cause you to miss a gear and get slamed hard. When coming to to a stop, be real easy on the brakes and start braking early. be careful downshifting because that surge can propel you forward and cause you to miss your gear and you will be slamed hard and loud when you hit the brakes. Its really like being smashed into by another truck from behind. Take them corners slower than you otherwise would because you will have a very high center of gravity that is always changing. If you are always mindful of what you are hauling you'll drive acordingly. It all eventually becomes natural though I don't think it will be to bad with milk.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    rbmc20 and Gisquid Thank this.
  9. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA

It depends on when you let go. You may well hit the guy behind you. Or hell, you could roll out into the intersection then roll back and hit him.

rbmc20 Thanks this.
  10. Spacer

Spacer Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Little Rock, AR

This I have witnessed. I was hauling a smoothbore milk tanker outta Portales NM, and another driver was headed the same way. There's a railroad overpass just before you turn right to head east out of Clovis, and he had to brake fairly hard to get stopped for the red.
    Fella must have let up on the brakes once he stopped, because that wad o' milk slammed up and sent him most of the way through the intersection.

One thing I learned about regional milk hauling... some of these outfits really don't *care* what your logbook says. On that haul, I told the dispatcher I was *way* out of hours... so she gave me some little white pills to take with me. How nice.

rbmc20 Thanks this.
  11. rbmc20

rbmc20 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Virginia
    These are some great replies guys just what i was hoping to get.....I am going to try to setup a ride along for maybe this weekend to get an idea of how it is. if anyone has anything else to ad please do... need all the info i can get

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.