Tanker Training ?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by tweaker44, Jan 18, 2019.

1. tweaker44

tweaker44 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Ive been doing vans/reefers since 2007 . Im looking to open my doors even more .

I got a good mvr.psp.csr.etc

Are there any companies that does tanker training ??

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
  4. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    You won't need any tanker training per se other than obtaining your tanker endorsement and/or HazMat endorsement.
    Should you choose to haul fuel or some nasty chemical, then you'll receive job specific training in regards to the product to be hauled.
    I chose to haul food grade and three years later I'm still with Indian River with no regrets.
    It surprises some folks when I tell them we haul some HazMat. Whiskey and vinegar are considered flammable and corrosive, respectively.
    I've heard that there is a need for drivers near Midland, Texas to haul crude oil, water, frac sand, etc. $2000 per week is the rumored pay.
    Lastly, Smart Trucking has a video about his experience with tanks on his YouTube channel. Check him out. He offers sage advice.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Reason for edit: I forget words
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I was going to suggest Indian River Transport, but @Flat Earth Trucker beat me to it.

Trimac Transportation has an Elite Fleet for drivers with 24 mos. or more OTR experience. Trucks aren't as nice as Indian River Transport, but the pay is great; make over $100K per year running OTR. Call and ask about that if you're interested in hazmat tankers.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    With your
    With your considerable driving experience, pulling tankers won't be an issue for you. Dealing with the surge isn't a monumental challenge.
    If you live in the Northeast, you should consider Venezia. These guys haul a lot of oil for Mobil or Exxon. At least that's what one of their drivers told me. Fifty cents per mile to start. I sometimes see a Venezia truck in Oregon and Washington, so I know they do some long haul. Best of luck.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    YOu won't need training to drive a tanker as others suggested. But try to work for companies that have baffles.

Those that don't have baffles can really break your neck. And I don't mean that literally but it darn near feels like it. I don't know how transmissions can hold up.

8. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Not that big of a deal really. I let the product surge determine my shift points when starting off and use the old egg under the pedal philosophy. Of course there is those unpleasant moments when you have to brake hard and I feel sorry for my fifth wheel but you learn to drive in a manner that somewhat limits those to.

x1Heavy and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  9. Rum

Rum Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2019
    What's your opinion about ComCar CTL? $0.55/mi 0-5 months | $0.60/mi 6+ months | $6k Sign-on or Vet | $19/hr Non-driving time

10. patsy

patsy Light Load Member

May 25, 2016
    Chicago
    I was hired at Superior right out of school on October and I'm very happy!

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I have never pulled a chemical tanker with baffles. That would be next to impossible for a tank wash to certify the trailer as clean.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.