Tankers' Choice: ISO vs 43' Food Grade vs 53' Fuel Hauler...

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by truadvocate, Apr 22, 2018.

1. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    What's your pleasure and why?

Best and worst part of what you've seen... images.jpeg images (1).jpeg truck-2.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    None of the above. Give me an MC307/407 chemical tanker. ISOs can be a pain but I still get one from time to time. Feels like you are pulling a wall behind you. Food service doesn't pay as much as chemicals for the most part and too much wait time.

truadvocate Thanks this.
  4. truadvocate

Mar 31, 2018
    I pulled food grade first.

The surge felt like it was in the bunk.

I prefer the ISOs because that tank on the extended chassis minimized surge.

I didn't stick with either long enough to become more smooth at controlling the surge.

There were fewer incidences, but still...

Shots straight to the kidneys.

#OUCH!

Blackshack46 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  5. kemosabi49

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I've been doing the smooth bore for a while now, but it did take some time before I learned to drive in a way that would mitigate most of the surge.

6. truadvocate

Mar 31, 2018
    Right, but as I recall on a trip through WV on what is it... I-64?

On a ride along fully loaded, the driver told me to avoid going that way loaded because the surge would beat you to death while you smoked brakes trying to control your speed.

7. kemosabi49

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Probably I68. But once you are going downhill all of the liquid is at the front of the trailer and not surging anymore. Not much difference than going down hill with any other heavy load.

8. truadvocate

Mar 31, 2018
    EXCEPT...

Truck sensors would notify dispatch/safety that we were speeding.

We'd get company warning points.

9. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    I liked pulling ISO , but fuel mileage sucked and yes it does feel pulling a wall behind u. Last one I pulled was flamable load on I 68 thru WV and MD. That trip kicked my ###

truadvocate Thanks this.
  10. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I'll take my 331 any day, then a 307/407 then anything else before an ISO. They ride horrible and it's like pulling a parachute.

truadvocate Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive done milk tanking. Ive done carboys in liquids in a whole van. Ive done 20 foot tankers to seagrams off a ship downtown. (What a place... in Baltimore) and Ive done bottles out of there to either railroad head or back onto ships. There is enough weight to the liquid to make that 18 wheeler move a little bit.

But the one thing I will NOT haul is fuel. My father's brother was assigned to red ball in Europe and was under fire from the Luftwaffe where possible. He has even gained fame briefly for recognition from Generals for hauling 300 cans of fuel when 150 was the authorized load. And these were the 5 gallon jerry cans too.

After the war in the late 40's early 50's he had a dedicated tanker run on Big Savage into Cumberland downtown. Something to do or other with Emlenton PA as a source of fuel in them days.

One day his tanker ran away from him I think it was a 284 pete. A small tractor with a pretty small tanker for it's time. 7 miles to Cumberland down big savage he went.

When he rolled out at the bottom downtown, he left that rig where it was, climbed down to the big railroad station (Western Maryland, probably still there to this day) telegraphed Baltimore he quit and catch the next train to Baltimore.

I don't know bout you but that story died with him a couple of years ago about the 21 Jan when a massive stroke took him out. He pretty much died instantly without suffering too much. But it is assumed with a stroke that big it probably hurt him but not for long as death came for him quickly.

I had a thought to stop by his place in Florida at somepoint in my life time and talk over that particular runway but frankly what is known is known. The rest of it can be educated guesses about the rest of it.

To this day I wont haul fuel. Period. You could offer 20 million dollars to do it one time today, but I wont do it.

truadvocate Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.