Tanking endorsement worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by gheor, Nov 8, 2012.

1. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    It made a difference for me when I started 5 years ago.

Other guys in my class were making 28-.32CPM. I started at .43 loaded, .34 empty plus all the hourly pay and around 120 days at home. Plus I stayed in hotels when training OTR since the trucks are not double bunk..

Flip Flops Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dirtyjerz

dirtyjerz glowing beard pouty kid

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    New rule is any liquid bulk container over 119g (most totes are 300-400g) and a total liquid capacity of over 1,000g. Hazmat or not. Empty totes dont count however you still need to placard with un # if last content was hazmat. If i rememember correct it goes into effect in janaury 2013 but some states are already enforcing it.

4. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Why do they want tanker endorsement? I'm hauling a pneumatic and haven't noticed enough of a difference to justify the endorsement.

Probably due to an ignorant insurance agent? :biggrin_25526:

5. Flip Flops

Flip Flops Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2012
    The Left Lane..
    I honestly don't know unless there is a chance at some point they might do liquid also ??

6. Flip Flops

Jun 1, 2012
    The Left Lane..
    Do you pump off your own loads or does the customer do it ??

7. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    That depends on the customer. Some do it all. Some have us pull a sample and vent the dome, or hook up their air.

Company tractors have a compressor and pump. Most loads air off. In 5 years I have only had to use my pump 5-10 times per year. Lots of customers have pumps.

Some of the dedicated loads are drop and hook.

Flip Flops Thanks this.
  8. Flip Flops

Jun 1, 2012
    The Left Lane..
    When I was doing foodgrade it always seemed like no matter how carefull I was or the customer was hooking everything up there was always a drip or two here and there....More than once I thought to myself what if that was a hazardous chemical dripping out like that ??

I won't go into the time I dumped about a half gallon of yeast all over my feet, if that was hazmat I'd had some problems..

9. gheor

gheor Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2012
    I once carried a chemical that was highly explosive when mixed with oxygen and had a truck carrying oxygen hang out on my tandems from one side of phoenix to the other..when I finally told him what I was hauling and if we collided we would just leave a hole where phoenix was...he hit his brakes so fast u would think he saw a naked female hitchhiking

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.