Tanking with own authority: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by whatd, Jul 5, 2019.

1. whatd

whatd Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2015
    If you have experience with tanking under your own authority, I would greatly appreciate your opinions. I've had success as an OO at QC but I wonder if I'm leaving money on the table. I've noticed that occasionally we get loads through CH Robinson and Odyssey. There's enough room for them to take their cut, QC to take 33% and me to still make decent money off a load.

All of my equipment is paid for, I have ample cash reserves, good credit, a flawless record and CSA score. What advice would you give about going independent? Thanks in advance.

jbgrim72 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    While I don't have authority, I go back to when authority and rights were regulated.

Most chemical transport is controlled by the shipper.

They are using QC because they are a known entity with deep enough pockets to make them feel warm and cozy. They know any environmental problems will be handled.

Unless you have a high school chum who's dad like you a lot, and just happens to run a major chemical producer -or- user; a newly minted carrier without connections will , perhaps, get a shot at the dirtiest and cheapest stuff...if anything at all.

I worked for a Canadian carrier's US operation. All of our competitors [US based] couldn't figure out how we had so much freight back to Canada; they all wanted to know who's door to knock on to get a shot. Truth was our Canadian's working with the major Canadian distributors held all the cards; I was just along for the ride..

4. whatd

whatd Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2015
    I wouldn't be interested in getting my own accounts. I'm wondering about getting freight through a broker like CH Robinson, Odyssey or others. I'm guessing brokers would be open to working with someone who has newly minted authority? Maybe?

5. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    You could make a post in the freight brokers section & see if anybody there does tanker loads. Also call/email around to various brokers you can get a contact for.

For the reasons above, you may have issues with any hazmat work straight off. Look into things like food grade or freshwater, saltwater, & other non-haz work.

Check into the SBA's SCORE mentor program. You might just find someone local & experienced to advise you.

6. whatd

whatd Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2015
    I'll give those things a try. I just confirmed that one of our dispatch guys used to run his family business which did exclusively haz loads. He may be the perfect one to ask. I'll give the above brokers a call too and see what their criteria are. My insurance company may have its own criteria for haz/non-haz.

7. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    From what I understand, hazmat insurance is a whole different ballgame, like you said.

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You have access to a stainless chemical tank.......?

And insurance , pollution and general liability have to be 5 mill .......

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  9. whatd

whatd Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2015
    I can afford a tank. We also have a couple of places nearby that lease tanks. I'll also have to figure out if the higher rates for hazmat is worth the higher insurance rates for a one-man show.

10. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    Give fort transit a look run for them with your own tank I think they pay 75% with your own tank and do math after a few months

11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Probably would be a smart idea to sign on with a chemical company with your power unit and learn the ins and outs of the industry before jumping on with your own authority. Liquids, especially hazmat, takes deep pockets for when things go wrong.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.