Tape up exhaust for transporting a vehicle?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Joe_Bob, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Yeah it takes time for something spinning at 300,000 RPM to stop...

There have been plenty of debates on this. I would be more worried about rain getting into the exhaust than some 80 mph wind.

You can stick a leaf blower into the exhaust pipe and that turbo will not spin.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    A old piece of carpet and a couple tarp straps is what I will use. Duct tape leaves the glue residue on it. Although after a heat cycle it might just burn off . Always a better look taking great care of your customers equipment

4. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    I used a large dogbone sponge in a plastic shopping bag stuffed down the pipe.
    It is fun to put the receiver downwind or whatever and jump up to start the machine and holler "catch" and get a video.

dogbone sponge.jpg

Hammer166 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. Tumbleweed TowMan

Tumbleweed TowMan Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2022
    #1 statement of the week!!

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    A Folger's coffee can and a long bungee cord. If you take the cord off you can see how far the can will fly when you start the engine. It's not nearly as much fun now with the plastic coffee cans. The metal ones made a much better noise when they ricocheted off the shop roof.

And yeah, cover the exhaust. Especially on new equipment or a customer's piece.

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    The best tape to use when dealing with automotive exterior is the blue painters tape

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I cover the exhaust on our equipment or that that we rent with a cover like the one in your earlier post. Keeps the bugs, rain, winter salt and road grime out, looks professional, no sticky tape residue, and only takes a second to put on.

9. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    I agree. Mechanically I don't believe you need one. But it is simple insurance to make yourself and your customer feel good. No harm in covering it just to be safe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.