Tarping

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by drivenmecrazy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. drivenmecrazy

drivenmecrazy Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Oregon
    I have a few years FBing but I've never had to tarp. So just how hard is it to tarp a flatbed and how is it done? Any things you should always do or any you should never do? :biggrin_25514: Thanks for you help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    You are lucky. I had to tarp my first flatbed load. It turned into one of many.

Its not that hard unless the wind is blowing or you have an irregular load that requires a lot of sharp corner padding. Its like wrapping a big christmas present. Some thing I cannot do, but I can tarp a load with the best of them.

kbarttt Thanks this.
  4. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    Yes, you should immediate transfer the the van division.:biggrin_2559:

5. hendersoncnc

hendersoncnc Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    baltimore,maryland
  6. Doma

Doma Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    MA
    Ok here is the deal, I tarp and untarp all the time, there are a few variables, what weight tarps is your company using, my company uses only the heaviest weighted lumber tarps with full drops,, they are about 150 lbs a piece and You need 2 to tarp a full load. lumber or drywall, allot of outfits are trying to use lighter weight fabric but it is not as tear proof as the old V's and if it rips in trans and it is raining the load "WILL" get ruined.. The most important thing is how it was rolled up in the first place, if You or the previous user rolled the tarp right it makes life allot eaiser and You dont have to guess what is going where, just roll em out and tie the rings off or bungee, rope is lighter but that is my old fashoned thing.. Be careful in winter it is a ##### and if you are not careful for 1 second You will slip off and get hurt.. watch the wind and try to make it work for You. I cant tell You how here it would take allot of space. Yes when You are new it is a real tough, dirty, and time consuming ordeal and You will cry. Of course there will be some other guy who tarped and strapped and you are still rolling, and he is leaving, that will go right up ur... After some time of doing it it will get eaiser, but never easy, there are actually videos on it somewhere out there ...

kbarttt, searay and cpassey Thank this.
  7. Mtn.Momma

Mtn.Momma Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Northwest USA
    Yes, that's right...what he said. :yes2557:

The real trick is in how the tarps are rolled up, and in your set-up too.

It's hard work, but just plan ahead. Think about how that tarp is going to unroll, and plan accordingly.

8. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Located below in our "Storage trailer" section, you will find a piece on tarps that may be of some interest to you. A friend of mine on another site wrote it, and I swiped a copy (with permission of course) and brought it over here.

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I was in the same boat. I had pulled a skateboard, but never tarped (hence the name) now it is not a problem. I catch on pretty quick and always get laughed at for "oversecuring" and making my tarps to neat. I even had a TMC guy ask me if that was a special coil tarp or a steel tarp. I replied just a steel tarp. He said you tarp better than me. I have only been tarping for 6 months. I will admit some of my tarp jobs do not turn out like I plan!

10. drivenmecrazy

drivenmecrazy Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Oregon
    Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate the information:biggrin_25514:. I also learn fairly fast so hopefully I'll catch on quickly. Thanks again.

11. kd5drx

kd5drx <strong>Master of Electronic Communications</stron

Nov 28, 2006
    Some where USA
    Well it says you have a few years FBing but only 0-1 years exp driving just trying to figure it out. But if you have FB and never tarped i want to work for that company i used to tarp near every load and it is an art that is acquired with years of experience to be done right. I was taught by an old fella that had probably 30 years of doing it and believe me i got tired of re tarping because it wasn't right to his standards. Remember the first rule is that wind will get under every thing when you drive down the road so seal it all off like it was a wind tunnel and you will be fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.