Tarps and a newbie to opendeck.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by LTL Bull, Aug 6, 2020.

1. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    As I've mentioned, recently came over to open deck from LTL. I've done curtainside flats, open deck with machinery and objects that don't need tarping, so the securement end i feel I know enough to know when I need to ask for help. These tarps are driving me crazy though ! Guy I run for purchased a new 6 foot drop 3 piece set for me and I love them! For whatever reason they're much easier for me to deal with in terms of getting squared up and looking good. I carry edge protectors and moving pads to help protect the tarps from sharp edges but I still end up getting small holes or abrasions through the tarp from dunnage, the freight or sometimes a corner that has a blanket underneath it. My question is ; is there some sort of tape or something designed to cover a small hole for the tarps, some are as small as a pencil eraser or just a fraction of an inch long. I can't figure out why it's happening? Sometimes the damage is underneath when I roll the sides up to tuck up under and the tarp just looks like it's pinched against the freight and gets worn through just from wind motion or road vibration. A lot of times I don't even see a hole until it's off the load spread out to be folded.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    You can purchase patches and cement. You can get them separately or in a kit. Flex tape also works as a short term fix.

cke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    Ok, I've seen patches on other tarps that look like they were melted on with heat, must be the glue on kind. I've seen guys use duct tape but that just looks bad and don't seem to hold up. My tarps are black so I was considering some of the flexible flashing for windows and doors. It comes in a roll and cut to fit. Works great for intended purpose (I'm a die hard DIY guy and used it on several projects around the house) I'll have to pick up some of the repair kits though

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Holes in the tarps is just part of the game. No matter how much ya pad and protect. As the tarp is out in the elements and the wind is getting at it, the material breaks down over time and weakens. Next thing u know , u trying to pull that last bungee nice and tight and u hear the fantastic sound of vinyl ripping wide open. They sell tarp repair kits at just about any tarp supply store. U can order it online from tarpstop or mytee or any tarp online store. Vinyl patches and vinyl cement is what ur looking for. Loctite vinyl adhesive also works . Just make sure the area is clean and dry before applying cement

7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Mytee products sells vinyl by the yard for $6.99... Couple yards and a quart of the HH-66 vinyl cement you should be good to go.
    Mytee Products - Truck Tarps, Cargo Control & Trucking Supplies

8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Lets see a recent tarp job. Id bet you're not getting them tight enough .

9. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I use a wide 4” roll of gorilla/T-Rex tape at Walmart. Never let me down parching small holes.

10. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    If you got dunngage sticking out you can throw straps over them just don't tighten the straps too tight or you'll rip those instead of the tarps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.