Tax Deductions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rdubill, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. rdubill

    rdubill Bobtail Member

    Dec 27, 2006
    Orchard Park, New York
    To all - from a newbie - since you're on the road so much you are eating your meals out of pocket - is this a deductible expense at tax filing time?

  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. milestogo

    milestogo Light Load Member

    Dec 13, 2006

    Another truckers site offers a "Truckers Tax Forum". Check it out @

  4. is the cost of my school deductible also?
  5. IdahoGhost

    IdahoGhost Light Load Member

    Jul 20, 2006
    Possibly, depending on the circumstances. You might want to check with the truck school enrollment dept and see if they know.

    A couple of links for the per diem:

    You may want to have a CPA or tax professional do your taxes the first year or two and let them find all the applicable rates, etc. I've used a CPA for years and while it costs a little more, he always finds new deductions and allowances. YMMV...
  6. pro1driver

    pro1driver Heavy Load Member

    Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA

    your log book is detailing your "per diem" expenses. if you keep the recipts from the resturants, you could end up short changing yourself.

    however, keep recipts from ALL you other expenses, like pens, pencils, paper, clothing, laundry, motels, etc, etc. i forgot the allowable "per diem", hopefully someone else can tell you that..

    as for schooloing costs, i'm not sure, unless you were layed off, or your employer shut down its doors, then "re-trainung" was neccessary for employment. but just "switching jobs" my not qualify you. then too, is your entire school loan paid off for the year 2006...?? if not, then only a portion my be deductable, but here again, a certified accountant will know what to do.
  7. mrsfroggeusa

    mrsfroggeusa Bobtail Member

    Jan 23, 2007
    regarding meals - no need to keep track of your meal expense. The IRS has a flat rate for truckers of $52 per day and get to deduct 75% of that instead of the normal 50%. Be sure to tally how many days are you on the road.

    Your schooling would be deductible as long as you were not reimbursed for it. Depending on the schooling determines exactly where on the 1040 it would go.

    Hope this helps!
  8. i use a simple formula for lying no i mean doing my taxes in regard to how many days i was out for per diem purposes 52 weeks in a year i am home for 1 day a week or so, so 304 sounds good ya thats what i'll use
  9. Driven2drive

    Driven2drive Light Load Member

    Jan 9, 2007
    Ogden, Utah
    This can go either way. There's times when itemized expenses don't exceed your standard decuctions and there's times when they do. Find a smart accountant or tax person.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted