Tax Question

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by sketch, Dec 5, 2008.

1. sketch

sketch Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2008
    oak grove, ky
    Does anyone know any details about the Millis Meal Card specifically if it will affect what you can claim as per diem when claiming your taxes at the end of the year?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckin Juggalo

Truckin Juggalo Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Madisonville, TN
    as far as i would be concerned about that card, if the ammount of money u used on that card shows up on your W2 then i would just deduct it from your actual PerDiem %...

Personally i would take the 39 bucks X days worked .. Multiply that by 75% then subtract your nontaxable income from that figure and clame the remainder...

And if it does not show up on your W2 Clame all your perdiem.. thats how i would handle it if i were you

4. sketch

sketch Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2008
    oak grove, ky
    Thanks for your information, but let me clarify what the "meal card" actually is. The meal card is not a "debit card" for food charges; the "meal card" allows me to show myself "off-duty" on my log books and not be responsible for the truck, trailer or cargo as long as the truck is secured and I have the key. What I'm questioning is, according to the IRS website, if I'm interpreting it correctly, in order to get my full 75% of $52.00 per diem, I must show myself on duty, not driving, to claim the expenses on my W-2's. Does anyone know if this is correct?

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

The meal card has nothing to do with the per diem.

You get the per diem from the IRS for being away from your tax home, not the truck.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    What'd he say ??? Sounds like somebody needs the help of a CPA or enrolled agent . The long form asks the number of eligible days and also asks if you have been compensated for any of the entitled amount . It doesn't matter if it's on the W-2 or not . If you were paid per diem then claim the full amount it could cost you .

7. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    This year the per diem goes to 80% of $52.00 per day in the contiguous US.

8. DoubleDear

DoubleDear Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say too.

It is now $ 52 dollars a day allowed,,, unless you retained all your meal receipts., that add up more.

9. stocktonhauler

stocktonhauler Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    There are several TurboTax packages, does anyone know which one handles the specifics of the trucker per diem in a simple way? Or, if not, how do I enter my per diem into the Turbo Tax program so the program can correctly calculate my return.

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Are you a company driver, or owner operator or lease owner?

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I think many truckers using any tax program or tax preparer at the end of the year are missing out on a lot . You need to find a good tax professional at the beginning of the year to advise you how to take advantage of available deductions and credits .
    To have Turbo Tax calculate your per diem deduction you need to know how many eligible days you have . You must be gone the whole day to claim per diem . For example , if you get a weekend restart and start out at noon on Sunday you cannot claim per diem for Sunday . The program will then ask if you were reimbursed for any of that expense . Most carriers will underpay per diem because they can be penalized for overpaying it .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.