Tax questions concerning E-logs

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Dast, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dast

Dast Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Hey fellow truckers, got some questions for you.. I've been in the industry for almost 5 years now and all previous carriers I've been with have kept at least a full year of e-logs.. earlier this year (April) I have started driving for a company that I found out last month chooses to only do the mandatory 6 months worth of e-logs.

My tax preparer has mentioned to me that my state may begin to do audits on truck drivers to make sure that the amount of home time/days on the road they are claiming is in fact correct.. ( log audits ).. but again my company only keeps the last 6 months.

So my question is IF I am audited can my state claim that I've only technically worked for the last six months because that's all the logs I have proof of and therefore claim that I owe more taxes than I've already paid?? (assuming that I would have to pay more taxes on 50K+ reported income in only 6 months time as opposed to over the course of a year)

Now that I know they only keeps 6 months I will be asking for my logs periodically throughout the year, but for this year am I screwed or is there something I can do if they choose to audit me??

Thanks for any help you can offer in suggesting what steps to take next.
    ~Dast

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    ask your log department they should be able to give you a web site to go to so you can download/print out your logs on your own.

4. Dast

Dast Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Just got off the phone with my carrier, they do not have a website that I could access logs older then the 6 months. they said that it's 6 months to the day and once they're gone, they're gone. They did indicate that it might be somewhat beneficial to get a copy of all my past pay stubs which should show the dates and the loads that I was paid for, but again I've never been audited outside the carrier so I don't know if those would help any or not...

5. keebler13579

Nov 16, 2012
    thats what i meant get the website and start downloading and printing them yourself. if you have your pay stubs and settlement sheets that show where you delivered when also any old fuel/lumper receipts should work. I would get a good accountant that does taxes for truckers and will show up with you at the irs to help you in case of an audit.

6. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Do you keep your bills of lading after you send in a copy?

7. keebler13579

Nov 16, 2012
    i keep them till i get tired of holding on to them then toss them after ive had them for a few months usually

8. Dast

Dast Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I hadn't considered the BOLS... I do have a copy of all the BOLS except a few, which I handed it in personally since I was at one of the terminals at the time ... otherwise use a phone app to scan our paperwork and so I have a record of all of those

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Call your company back and tell them to you want hard copies of the logs for tax purposes. Tell them the IRS does not accept any pay stubs for a per diem audit.

They can print them off.

Forget the bol, they need to see the logs.

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  10. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Anything you can use to show travel time, destination, and business purpose should work. There is nothing I've seen that says you can only use log books for per diem.

11. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You cannot E-Mail yourself a copy of your daily logs?

What the Tax person is talking about is the M&IE which everyone refers to as Per Diem..Incorrectly. Pub 463

For this you should have a copy of your daily logs. If you company keeps 6 months and 13 days worth, you should be able to get them to E-Mail you a copy of them..maybe monthly.. they are probably in PDF Format an they can probably zip them all to one file.

You have 13 days to provide your carrier with your daily logs, so FMCSA says 6 months and 13 days. Even on ELD's they may not transmit daily.

If you are inspected you have to be able to E-Mail the inspector the logs that they request... Your ELD should be keeping 7 prior/ 1 current in viewing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.