Tax questions concerning E-logs

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Dast, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    That is true,,, but how many keep copies of receipts and BOL's?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    The IRS wants to make sure that you are away from your home of Domicile... A pay stub only shows you got paid, not where you were....

BOL's if you keep a copy will show where you were.....

My audit lasted over a year going back and forth... the 3 days of logs they finally agreed to sealed the deal of showing I was not home... Keep anything and everything you can (copy) if you claim M&IE...

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If you use your credit card on the road, you can get the date and location for transactions as well.

5. Dast

Dast Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Thanks for all the help everyone! ^_^

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You know, if drivers started insisting upon the company mailing them hard copies of their logs for tax purposes when these elog things first started becoming popular, it would've added a whole new expense for these companies....paper, toner, envelopes, stamps, man-hours assembling it all, etc...and could have delayed the push. As far as every company I ever worked for as a company driver was concerned, I had no computer or internet at home to receive or print emails or to log into their system to print them out myself. Even the place I'm at now as an I/C, I go to their office and use their computers to do their stupid "online training"...and I'm on line 4 when I do it. I've always required hard copies of anything...pay stubs, etc...printed out by them and handed or mailed to me.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That's partially correct. An ELD can be either a "local transfer" type OR a "telematics" type device. Local transfer devices are required to transfer through USB and bluetooth or printer, and the telematics type must be able to transfer both through email and the internet. ALL devices must have a display screen that can be viewed.

One thing that is going to have to be worked out for those using telematics devices is HOW you can transfer data through the web if you have no cell service. I'm also amused how many states are refusing to accept certain forms of transfer for "security reasons". Guess what...my device is legal and meets the federal requirements, transferring data exactly as called for by the regulations. If you choose not to accept the methods my device was designed to use, tough cookies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.