How Does Team Driving Work When It Comes To Home Time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DevJohnson, Oct 21, 2018.

1. DevJohnson

DevJohnson Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    How does team driving work when it comes to hometime? I'm assuming you have to live in the same state as your co driver? but that wouldn't make sense cus sometimes you get paired up and what if that guy lives in Alabama and you live in Florida? would you just spend one weekend at his terminal and then one when its your time he takes a 34 at ur term? confusing

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Everyone I codrive with has lived in the central TX area right along with me. We take our hometime on the same week and every time I switch codrivers they adjust my off time to sync with them. I got home time after two weeks twice in a row because I shuffled codrivers.

I codrove with one guy who lived only an hour from the terminal, and every single week we were due back at the terminal, I arrived before him by like 6 hours, and I live 3 hours away. lol

Now I usually get there the day before I am due to roll out and don't really worry about my codriver. It works for me, I have a full day to stay at the truck and get myself back into work mode.

Chinatown and DevJohnson Thank this.
  4. DevJohnson

Nov 27, 2017
    that's awesome man! yea idk how it works else wise

5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I have read stories about drivers crashing at their codriver's house, or a nearby motel. But most companies seem to have terminals and they hire people nearby and offer long-term parking so you an drive home when you park at the terminal. If you take a job far away from your home then you should assume getting home will be a challenge. What options are there? You have to bobtail with your codriver, you'll have to take turns on hometime, or you can drive your car for however far away the terminal is.

In my research on future companies to drive for, my top choice nearest terminal was in Arizona, and I live in Texas. That means when I go home I have to drive a day or more just to get home in my POV or bobtailing. Either way, it kinda sucks if I want to go home to TX and not a motel. I cant teleport there and I am sure they wont fly me.

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    You said you live in ID, right? I don't know if you are married or have kids but SLC has a lot of trucking company terminals there. You could move there and have a lot of options close to your domicile.

Also if you are interested in team driving for whatever reason, you can go the motel route. When you do get off time, the cost of a motel won't be a big deal compared to the extra money you will probably make teaming depending on how long you are out.

I wouldn't care about getting a motel. But being a nerd, I have to have lightning-fast internet for my games. I'm spoiled that way. And motels just wont give me the internet connection I require to keep my attention.

I could move to AZ for this job that looks good, but I got family here and I can couch surf, crash in my parents guest bed (I have my mail sent there), or hang out at one of my brother's homes. It saves me $$$$ that I can earn interest with instead.

DevJohnson Thanks this.
  7. DevJohnson

Nov 27, 2017
    Yea man it seems that there’s quite a few options. I’m going to call a couple companies and see what they say about it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.