Technical college; opinions?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by moonbeast32, Jul 18, 2018.

1. moonbeast32

moonbeast32 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I live 40 miles south of Salt Lake City. There aren't any trucking schools around here unless I want to make the trip to SLC county every day. Seems my closest option is a technical college 10 minutes away. They offer a CDL course, and I just passed their entrance exams today.

My question is this: Before I complete my registration, are there any major benefits to attending a dedicated trucking school over a technical college? any deal breakers I should know of? I know placement isn't as good in college, anything else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Technical colleges are some of the best for cdl training. As long as the course is 160 hours or more, go for it. Get all the endorsements before you graduate so you'll have more job opportunities.

shogun Thanks this.
  4. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    How much does each one cost?
    How long is each one?
    In my limited experience, public community colleges and technical schools have good reputations and cost less.

As @Chinatown says, get all your endorsements before leaving school. In my state, you can take the written endorsement tests (tanker, hazmat, doubles/triples) when you have a CDL permit. When you pass, those endorsements stay on your permit for 60 days (or is it 90 days?). It will be similar in your state. Meaning = take endorsement tests within the 60 day window (assuming it's 60 days) of graduating and getting your CDL.

5. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Also, get a TWIC card, passport, and FAST card to enter Canada.

RussianBearTruckeR Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.