Tell me about Volvos

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by teachmebouttrucking, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teachmebouttrucking

teachmebouttrucking Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Exspecially T-670. What do you like or dislike about them. It is the type of truck I will drive at Colonial when I start.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    Pile of crap, every single one. But who cares what you drive as long as you get paid right? O/O i wouldnt want one for free, or be caught dead seen in one. Friend has so much problems with his its not even funny. They dont even have real air horns, lol, wtf kinda truck is that?

4. D16

D16 Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Vancouver
    You are not right-Volvo's have a very good real air horns.:biggrin_25522:And according to fuel prices they are much better than square noses.Same with driver comfort-inside cab they absolutely similar with european Volvo's.:biggrin_25520:

5. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    I will take my square nose with yellow motor which is trouble free. I have plenty of comfort, like 86" sleeper. A real nice rattle-free dashboard, and gauges that actually work, but then again to each his own. I get 5mpg now, used to get 4 with crappy reverse flow mufflers. My friends volvo tuggin 80k lbs out west gets 5.2, so where is the savings?

6. Muleskinner

Muleskinner <strong>"Shining Beacon of Chickenlights"</strong>

I've said it before and I'll say it again...They are disposable crap like a bic lighter...Resale sucks on them big time and they are just all around plastic junk that has no class whatsoever...I'd rather put a wooden bill on and pick crap with the chickens than drive anything but a Pete...or MAYBE a KW if I wore pantyhose over my head so my friends didn't see me...lol...take it ez 550...I'm just gouging ya.lol

7. D16

D16 Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Vancouver
    It depends of gasket between steering wheel and driver seat.:yes2557:When I hauled dry box coast to coast my average was 6.8MPG,now on regional (85% Rockie Mountains,average gross 95,000lbs)hauling reefer containers average is 4.9MPG.:biggrin_255:

Actually I'd worked on Peterbilt 378,379 Kenworth 900B Volvo 660 and finally as o/o on Volvo VN670.Only truck I'm dreaming to drive is Volvo VT880.:biggrin_25522:

8. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    I drove a vn somthing last week for 3 days. brand new 2008. didn't much care for it. I couldn't believe how noisy the engine was - even worse than an old Mack. couldn't figure out what half the controls did without getting out the manual. plus the hood and entire front end on these are wider than the road! hopefully I'll be in a Pete soon - my first Pete. we'll see how that goes. Volvos are just a little too "foreign" for my taste - even if they are assembled here in what's left of the USA.

9. Muleskinner

Muleskinner <strong>"Shining Beacon of Chickenlights"</strong>

Well they got to sell em' to somebody,might as well be you.Grandpa always said "We can't all like the same thing or else everybody would be chasin' Grandma and she would be tired as hell".

10. twinturbotrans

twinturbotrans Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2008
    NW
    i used to have 2 petes and now i have 5 volvos and 2 freightliners...ive never dumped so much money for maintnance on Petes ever! talk about fuel hog..after having done 2 overhauls within a year on one of the petes i decided to get rid of them and traded both petes for 4 volvos...never been happier! they average 6.2mpg each and even highier on a good ol sunny day my maintnances was decreased dramatically and we talking thousands of $$ each quarter in savings!!....I dunno maybe i picked 2 bad petes afterall...

You are right about 1 thing though no matter how bad pete is you will get your money back! i was able to resell them both for profit still even though one of them was one BEAT PETE!

11. Hub City

Hub City Bobtail Member

May 25, 2007
    New England
    Aren't Volvos nothing more than Fords with a different name???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.