Tell me if I'm crazy, or if this will work.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by ErieMcDreary, May 14, 2017.

1. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    My background, 59 years old, trucking since 1983, still don't hate it! CDL A, 5 axle tractor trailer, and doubles.
    Started with Mayflower van lines as a lease-purchase, O/O, about the time when hotshot was "invented".
    Did it for a year, quit when new dispatcher wouldn't listen and sent me to NYC 7 times in a row.
    Always had the thought in my head to get into hotshot, just never took the plunge.
    Yes, I've spent a LOT of time reading this forum, and will continue.
    Currently driving for FedEx Ground sub contractor making about 60k/year, home every night.
    Original contractor sold business, not happy with new contractor, most drivers aren't happy. We've lost runs, terminated all part time guys, and many guys are running low miles/pay. I'm very concerned my regular run is on shaky ground, and he's already swapped me out for a week, to a lower paying run, to "spread the miles around".
    I can move to liquid food grade tanker, get a pretty nice truck and make about the same money.
    Or, take the plunge.
    My opinion is that 3500-5500 trucks just aren't stout enough to run 100k a year, for very many years. Yes I know many are doing it, but replacing tires, trans, and axles, often. Plus almost impossible to sleep in one!
    I believe a 6500/7500 series truck with sleeper, and 5th wheel, is a better option. Heavier duty tires, axles, driveline, frame, and brakes. There are many used, under 150k miles, available for less cost than a used 5500, and they only weigh about 1k# more. With a used stepdeck trailer, I should be under $30k start up cost for equipment. Not too worried about repairs, I've always done my own work, and know which end of the wrench to hold.:D I'll stay away from the V-8 diesels! Cummins, Cat, IH DT466, or Mercedes motor for me.
    Not too concerned with staying under 26k either.
    Now for work, I know load boards aren't a good way to make money. I'm sure there is a fair amount of freight out of this area, I just need to try to get some of it, and I'm debating signing on with Jones Motor Freight, Hot Shot Express, (open to advice here) at least for backhauls, and maybe leasing a trailer until I can buy one. I live in NW PA, right off I-90, and would like to stay within 600 miles or so, is that possible?
    Long term idea is that I can slow down at 65 or so, and be semi-retired, I'm not the type that can sit around doing nothing for very long.
    So, what do you guys who are already out there doing it, think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Your information on 3500, 4500, and 5500's is inaccurate.

And as far as leasing on, Really? You were just saying how Mayflower and FedEx treated you. What makes you think Jones will be any different? Being a company driver and/or a leased Owner Operator is the cycle that you need to break. That's if you're sure that you have what it takes. Many of us where just like you, not really happy working for any company. When I personally became a Independent that's when I really started doing well. I took everything that I had learned as a Driver and put it to work for myself as a Independent Owner Operator.

You can start out on load boards, many people do. On load boards is where you'll meet Brokers, both good and bad. When you meet a good one, make it a point to call them back, and not the bad ones. That's how you'll build relationships with the right people.

Lite bug and jparker Thank this.
  4. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I think a lot of it depends on how you treat them. I'm not hotshot but my F550 is 19k lbs all the time and my original tires are still better than half with over 40k km (probably around 30k miles). My last truck was a GM C5500. While that thing ate tires and u-joints, the original powertrain (minus rear diff) survived about 300k kms. After that, no idea as we retired that truck.

flatbedcarrier and fordconvert Thank this.
  6. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    IDK about other motors but a good buddy of mine has a 98 Ram 3500 with exactly 478,984 miles on it and it doesn't burn one drop of oil. He is very meticulous about PM and other than the normal mechanical changes that all trucks go through he hasn't had one problem since he bought it. I truly believe it's all about how you maintain your PM and how you treat your equipment.

flatbedcarrier and clausland Thank this.
  7. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Thank you all.
    I was thinking about leasing on only for back hauls, but good info about using load boards, and building relationships, instead.
    As for motors, I know the Cummins is an excellent, long life motor, with proper PM, but I also know Dodge has, or at least had, trans issues, even the manuals had problems, is the Aisin better? (I had a '96 2500 Cummins)
    I believe the AAM rear axle is better than the Dana it replaced.
    You kind of made my point about tires, you'll get around 60k, from yours, with bigger tires I should be able to exceed 100k. Our semi's routinely do.
    I am very aware of keeping up with PM's, and treating equipment well.
    A big issue is sleeping arrangement. I'm not as young as I was, and I need to stretch out. Naps are OK, but long term sleeping in a pick up just won't work. There probably is a better chance of selling a p/u, over a 6500, when I retire, so that is a consideration. I just found a '07 with 74kmiles and a 6spd, for $20k, but it's a single cab.
    Please keep thoughts and info coming. I am really wondering if I can stay within 5-600 miles of home.

8. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I think you can stay under 5-600miles. If you find some freight either brokered or direct. Like Flatbedcarrier said there are good ones and bad ones. I run a crewcab and took out the passenger sear and the backseat and run a twin mattress front to back. I can sleep and stretch out. It is still a pick up not like a big truck. I am kind of simi retired as I am 63 sometimes only get 3 days of work in. This week really good tho, Monday round trip 280 miles $900, today 230 miles $400, tomorrow 230 miles $600, and I have 170 mile return trip for $500 I will spend tomorrow on the road to eliminate deadhead. Now I have been doing this since 2008 and had the same idea that you are seeking. Starting out leased to someone after about 6 months decided to get my own numbers. I only work with 3 brokers that will call me when they have something to move. Only if I am out will I go to the load board. But it takes time to get it where you like it.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  9. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Thank you. I am actually in Columbus every night, well GrovePort and Grove City anyway.
    Interesting idea on your sleeping arrangement, that might work for me.
    I'm pretty sure I-90 is a good corridor, hopefully I can get something routinely between western NY and the midwest.
    I guess I could talk to some local brokers and see what they say about outbound freight, and how much weight and pay we're dealing with. That way I'll have a better idea on whether a 3500 with a gooseneck will work, or if I need to go to a 6500 and a stepdeck.

10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I have idea for you since you live in Erie Pa.There is a company that builds a works on electrodes. These are the things that they melt the iron ore and scrap metal inside the steel mills. They are in the same business as my one and only direct customer. They obviously have someone carrying their product now. I just happened to be able to get them out one time and able to build a relationship with them. They have told me they like working with people who let them know when you drop off ( things you normally do, commute back to them ) and if anything goes wrong. It is worth a try as I carry stuff to the mills and when it needs service I go pick it up and bring it back. Yes another idea is to work 90/80 back and forth Cleveland and Chicago.

11. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Thank you.
    There is actually quite a bit of manufacturing in this area.
    I know a company that makes large industrial valves, a friend of mine crates them. I'm not sure how they are actually shipped, I'll stop and see him about it.
    I was thinking a larger truck, assuming I would be near gross weight a lot. That may not be the case.
    If a 3500 will work, I can go with that, but I still think if I need to be bigger, a 6500^ would be a better choice.
    I would like to talk to someone in this area that is already doing it, and see if I can take their overflow, and maybe work with them to get started.
    Is there a listing of hotshotters somewhere?
    Is there a rating system for brokers?

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.