Tell me where I am wrong with Landstar.

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by akfisher, Apr 30, 2015.

1. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I buy a newer truck. 2013. Drive an average of 11,000 miles a month. Average 1.50 a mile or more, pay 4,500 a month in fuel. Gross 17k Take away 3k a month for insurance an maintenance. Still leave probably 9k at least after taxes. Tell me why this is not possible. I hear O/O's always crying and saying they cant make it. I understand there is more to it but its pretty basic. Newer tractor less problems?

OOwannaBE Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Solo_Seat

Solo_Seat Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    You're missing a few costs in there such as truck payment, taxes, quall com, CPA/bookeeping service, etc....

akfisher Thanks this.
  4. akfisher

Apr 23, 2015
    No truck payment and 3k a month I would think would cover all of the above mentioned if not close. I appreciate the input. Would love to hear more thoughts you might have.

5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I'm not with the newer truck less problems crowd. As with anything mechanical and electrical your going to have issues running all those miles in a variety of weather and terrain. Emissions are just another headache and hardship to overcome. Why add an unnecessary hurdle?

There is only so much on an older tractor you can replace before its a new tractor all over again. I'm into my truck for dang near nothing and she's beating down miles with the best of them.

6. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    Have to agree with Icsheeple new is not always better.I like my older truck just fine.

As far as not being able to make it I'm sure there is more variables then just operating costs.Once you give someone the opportunity to run when and how they want some guys get lazy.Staying home longer than they should.Non forced dispatch is a killer for some people who can't motivate themselves to work.

7. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I am a company driver and have driven four new trucks and only had two mechanical breakdowns which took a few hours to fix in all four years. Once I see income can be made at Landstar and I have a good list of brokers I plan to buy new trucks only. I have always taken excellent care of everything I own so its interesting when guys who got their same truck the same time as me who never wash it and its falling apart yet mine looks and runs like its brand new without a mark on it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    spectacle13 and sanchez51476 Thank this.
  8. akfisher

Apr 23, 2015
    I used to be a Company driver at FFE and Transport America. I had 6 trucks with those two companies. I only had one problem with one truck and it was a minor issue we got taken care of fairly quick. All those trucks were Mid 2000's Freighliner all between 250k and 550k miles. I see 100% where Icsheeple is saying in an above post also has valor. I guess starting a new business I personally feel better with a truck with a "new" warranty. I would hate to start driving with an older truck and have to have a surprise 20k dollar engine overhaul or non stop issues and in the shop. Trying to eliminate major problems by preventive maintenance goes a long ways.

9. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    That would be 9k before taxes, but other than that is doable.

10. akfisher

Apr 23, 2015
    Thanks 40calglock! I think so too. I here lots of guys on this Forum saying they do closer to 2$ a mile rather than the 1.50$ range but I am doing my math a little "safer" There are a 1,000 variables that could make my plan go horribly but I think if things go somewhat normal that 9k is very doable as well.

11. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    RPM depends on the trailer type, driver, freight lanes, etc. This year so far has been a turd, so we will see RPM averages fall from last year. That's across the industry though, so there is no surprise there. The oil industry collapse took away a lot of demand, and added a lot of supply to the truck side of the industry, driving down rates.

blairandgretchen and akfisher Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.