Tell us about your Ham/CB Station

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by kc0rey, Oct 8, 2006.

1. kc0rey

kc0rey Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    My station consists of:

Yaesu VX-6R Handheld with all the accessories
    Icom IC-207H VHF/UHF Mobile radio
    Yaesu FT-7800 Vhf/UHF Mobile radio with seperation kit.
    Yaesu FT-8800 VHF/UHF dual recieve dual band with seperation kit.
    Heathkit HW-101 HF Rig .....This is an antique rig circa 1972.
    Heathkit SB-300 Reciever (built in 1963) with matching SB-600 Speaker
    Kantronics KAM Plus TNC (New for me)

Various meters, tuners and a 60 AMP power supply

Outside:

Homebrewed dual band (VHF/UHF) Arrow J-Pole antenna @ 53 feet
    Homebrewed set of stacked (co-phased) 5 element Yagi-Uda VHF Beams. @ 40 feet
    Homebrewed 1/2 wave dipole cut for 40 Meters (7MHZ) (somewhere between 35 and 25 feet in the air).
    I was given a Butternut HF9V...This is an awesome 9 Band Vertical Antenna. It cost the Ham I got it from $500 and he took it down because he did not want to add ground radials (No room). I didn't either so I built a Counterpoise kit for it.

So, what are ya' running?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Now can I talk about my tin cans and a string?

4. kc0rey

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    Yes you can......

Is this a homebrewed or store bought rig and what brand of cans did you use?

5. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    It's homebrewed straigh from the farm. I prefer to use any can that once had Freshlike brand sweet peas in them. Also prefer #9 Piano wire vs. string. If it's sturdy enough to catch Jaws, then it's gotta resonate great!

6. kc0rey

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    LOL...the piano wire is a very nice touch. I hear it has gain over a string...help ya to get great DX.

7. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I can easily get out at least 10 - 15

feet that is :laughing8:

8. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

I use a pretty much standard cb, but power it by having the dog walk on a treadmill with a generator attached.

9. KD7UFF

KD7UFF Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Forks, WA
    Well at the house I have a Icom IC-70gmIIG with a Astron 35 amp power supply.. A Mirage 50 in 160 out 2M amp, 2M/70cm vertical at about 35 feet for FM. Hope to put my 11 element 2M beam at about 45 feet with a 4 element 6M beam just above that.. I have a AH-4 longwire tuner with about 100 feet of #14 srtanded copper wire at about 30 feet.. For my mobile I have a IC-2720 2M/70cm with a Larson dual band antenna.. A Ranger 5054DX100 6M all mode with a 6m Ham stick.. Also I have a pair of ham sticks running horz. (hamstick dipole) for SSB... My wife has a Icom IC-207H dual band with a Larson dual band. I will soon be the proud owner of a 3 element 2M yagi from KC0REY for some SSB mobile VHF weak signal work. Thanks again Its going to be a BIG help...
    After being injured driving truck Ham radio is my way to relax.. I am stuck in a wheelchair and watch my almost 2yr old (Oct. 29th) I go up on some hill sides and work DX.. I hope to get a sound card interface and start working some Digital modes...
    People often ask me what is so great about Ham radio.. The biggest thing I would say is the people you meet.. Seems funny for some reason 99% of the hams you meet are just outstanding people.. I am not sure why.. You don't get all the foul mouth filth talking about the girl they picked up at the corner lastnight & how sloppy drunk they got.. Plus there are some schools up near here that have Ham in 8th grade class. So we always listen up when a new class of kids come out we like to have a Meet on the radio.. I am close to Canada where the kids schools put on the Ham classes.. Its kinda cool for them to talk to another country right away..
    Another plus is being able to do all the Volunteer work like ARES/RACES, Weather watches, Search & Rescue & many more..It not fun sometimes but its great when you can help someone in need.. Alot of people don't understand when a huge disaster happens that Ham radio is the 1ST line of any kind of messaging traffic in or out...
    Ok enough .. As you can tell I like Radio....

10. kc0rey

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    Dan,
    How do you like that IC-207H? I just swapped my Motorola GP-300 for one. Waiting for it to arrive is killing me.......I always hate these swaps............

11. KD7UFF

KD7UFF Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Forks, WA
    Well after having it 3years now I can say its one of the best units we have owned to date.. It lives in my wife's Jeep and has since we got the Jeep new.. I instaled it with the head just over the CD/AM/FM Player... Its one of the best reciving radios we have.. I have not a lick of trouble with it & it get used on an Daily basis...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.