Temporary mask for a leaking airbag

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by STR8STAKZ, Apr 15, 2018.

1. STR8STAKZ

STR8STAKZ Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Well it's Sunday and found a cab bag leaking pretty good. Pinhole in the side. Anything i can do temporarily to slow the leak? Duck tape, rtv? Leaving for PA in the morning so can't get my hands on a new bag til tuesday

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Never tried to patch an air bag but what about a bicycle tire tube patch? Bicycle tires will hold like 30 or so PSI. May or may not work.

4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Hire someone to ride back there and hold finger on hole.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Put a bar of soap on there and wrap it with duct tape several times.

By the time that pinhole eats through the soap perhaps you will have gotten to where you need to be to get that bag fixed possibly.

It's a gamble. If you already know you got a busted bag, you are a better driver than I am.

Crude Truckin' and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  6. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    They make emergency tape specifically for air lines and air bags that can withstand higher psi, but they don't sell it everywhere.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
  8. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    you can't use a tire patch because of the air bag flexes to much, I have tried. just unhook the leveling lever an run it flat till you can replace it.

9. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Unhook the leaking air bag air line then plug the air line. Fix as soon as possible.
    A air leak is usually a OOS violation. If you disconnect the leaking air bag and plug the air line going to it you should be ok.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  10. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    How about gorilla tape. Put a patch on it and then wrap several layers to hold patch in place

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I've had this problem before. You can just unhook the cab leveling arm and ride with the bags down. It won't be comfortable but it won't be leaking either. I ran it like that for more than a day or 2 until I could get back from a long run with my old freightliner and it was fine. I don't have the tools or know how and it wasn't a must be fixed in order to carry on so that's why I ran it like that. Home mechanic made quick work of it.

Lepton1 and ncmickey Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.