Tennessee Based Trucking Company Ceases Operations After 69 Years

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Eddiec, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Another one!!!

PE_T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. icecold24k

icecold24k Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Tullahoma, Tennessee
    mhyn Thanks this.
  4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    "Greg Baer said Hogan Transport, headquartered in St. Louis, is leasing the shuttered carrier's building in Nashville and hired most of its remaining drivers."

So, most of the driver's still have a job. The name is changed and business as usual.

bryan21384 and PE_T Thank this.
  5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Smaller companies going out of business, In the end, only the super megas will be able to absorb the increasing regulations, Insurance costs, and the multiple millions in lawsuits after even minor crashes.

Deere hunter Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Feels like the mid 90's all over again. Trucking companies burning down. Ive had a few close in my face when I showed up ready to work. And find that there is a sign on the front door. Closed, no notice. Permanently.

The problem with those is any future employer has no way of verifying. However Social Security sure as hell does to the penny on my lifetime earnings.

Big_D409, buddyd157 and PE_T Thank this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Safety score got jacked up....they folded because they cant be outlaw anymore. Those who dont evolve, they perish. Here's the quote that got me:

“Trucking just isn’t worth it anymore,” Baer told FreightWaves. “The government has piled on so many regulations on these drivers that most young people don’t want to become truck drivers.”

Everybody blames the government for everything. That isn't even remotely the reason why young people dont want to become drivers. How can that be the reason when new drivers dont know any of the regulations? In my mind, it's the lifestyle that's not appealing to young drivers. A lot of people ain't willing to give up that much for work. I'm not judging them by means because people value different things. Sure trucking ain't the highest paying profession but you can count on steady money. It's the nature of the beast in this country. Sometimes you have to give up a little bit of your normal life to take care of your family.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    IF... Howard is right, no young person wants to be a trucker... why are TTR getting posts from 17 year olds wanting to engage in big boy interstate and intrastate commerce with a pickup truck?

Why are MEGAS pleading if not kneeling in front of dear doddering uncle sam for regulatory permission to stick 18 year olds into tractor trailers?

why?

PE_T, bryan21384 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’ve never understood the 21 year old deal. You can get your CDL at 18 and drive intrastate all you want but lord forbid you cross an imaginary line. Run 7-800 miles across big states like MT and TX but that’s it. Can’t cross that state line. The 18 year olds that want to drive probably aren’t going to school to do it, they’ve probably already been driving a few years on the farm.

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    The reason most dont want to be truck drivers?

Gotta be 23-24 with most companies.
    What do most people now have by then?
    Wife, kids. Who wants to go leave a young wife and kids for months on end ro be treated like a second class citizen.
    The public hates you, youre in their way with that big stupid truck, they shoot st you now, the security guards, that are hired to run off lot lizards and bums wake you up, argue and shoot you.

Great perks though! You can wait an hour for a luke warm shower.
    Everyone wants to pass laws to protect, but instead are doing away with your rights.
    Cant buy smokes now until youre 21.
    What calms most people? Smokes.
    I think office jobs should now be 25 years old.

12. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well....smokes only calms those that actually smoke so you have to account for the non smokers lol. You made a lot of my points for me. Being gone is the hardest thing out of all you mentioned to deal with. All that other stuff you can figure out a way around. For example, you don't have to wait for an hour to shower if you know how to plan properly.....here's a hint, don't plan for a shower at 5 am or 5 pm! Just saying...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.