Tesla HQ Relocating from California to Texas

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tesla has long been talked about as a tech company rather than a car company, perhaps most commonly because of its sky-high stock market valuation. Being based in Palo Alto, California helped feed into that mythos. That's all set to change, however, with Musk announcing the move in Thursday's annual shareholder meeting.

The company has begun to experience growing pains in the Golden State. "There's a limit to how big you can scale it in the Bay Area," noted Musk,

commenting that "it's tough for people to afford houses, and a lot of people have to come in from far away." Land is expensive and space at a premium, which can make expanding difficult. "Now we're like spam in a can here," Musk said of the current headquarters.

Hints of a move to Texas first came last May, when the Tesla CEO rankled at California's shelter-in-place orders for the pandemic. Lawsuits were filed in response to Alameda County's safety measures, and Musk threatened that the automaker may abandon the Fremont manufacturing facility based on "how Tesla is treated in the future."

However, the CEO stated on Thursday that the company will in fact be expanding its manufacturing capacity in California, aiming to increase production by 50 percent. "This is not a matter of Tesla leaving California," said Musk.

With the company's new "Gigafactory" being built in Austin, it's clear the automaker sees value in the Texan city. With a lower cost of living and more room to stretch out, it should allow the company to expand its operations more easily. In an interview with Automotive News, Musk also noted that Texas was Tesla's second-biggest US market, despite the state's ban on the company's direct-sales model. The city is also apparently popular with Tesla employees, which helped seal the deal.

Timing and other finer details aren't available, and The Drive has not contacted Tesla for comment as the company does not maintain a PR department. It seems likely, however, that the residents of Austin should prepare for their new neighbors, many of whom will be driving American-built electric cars.

Grumppy and PacoTaco Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Manufacturing will expand in California, but the headquarters will be in Austin, Texas.
    Guess that's a big plus for Tesla corporate taxes.
    [​IMG]

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  4. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    That factory they're building East of Austin is going up fast. They're working 24/7.

5. Snow Hater

Snow Hater Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I hope they keep their Commiefornia politics out of my state, but they won't. Governor had to threaten Austin with paying the bill for state law enforcement when Austin started playing the "defund the police" game. They backed off this time.

JoeyJunk, drvrtech77, LameMule and 6 others Thank this.
  6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Meh, Austin sucks, wonder why that city of all towns in TX.

JoeyJunk, austinmike and PacoTaco Thank this.
  7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I saw this on Facebook and people were commenting that maybe Elon should pay a living wage so that his employees can afford housing.
    I’m sure working at Tesla pays pretty well.
    I’m 99.9% sure that the problem is California itself, that’s Why my little city has been overrun with these Californians coming in.

8. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Texas and Tesla deserve each other.

And Tesla pays no income taxes.

RedEddie Thanks this.
  9. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Waaaay too late for that. I was amazed at how far downhill Austin has went since I left.

JoeyJunk and PacoTaco Thank this.
  10. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I lived in Fremont and that plant used to be the Toyota assembly plant NUMMI. Around 2002 they were paying $35 an hour. By 2010 they shut down for some reason.

11. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Is
    This off the toll road? Seeing lots of huge places being popped up.

PacoTaco Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.