Tesla Semi

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by hrod3866, May 25, 2018.

1. hrod3866

hrod3866 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2018
    I was reading a very biased article about this "innovation" Tesla created. Some key points were brought up. The truck is supposedly not for huge regional or coast-to-coast runs. The central seating compromises your ability to mitigate blind spots. As well as Tesla's claim of jackknifing being impossible, is that statement supported by evidence? I know their intention was to make trucking more efficient and safer for drivers, and everyone around. Thoughts on the truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No. Tesla's intention is to blow smoke and promise the moon to anybody with more investor dollars than sense.

Tesla's intentions in the case of this ridiculous electric truck is to attract money from suckers and government ... To sell snake oil to people who desperately want to believe in anything besides crude oil.

D.Tibbitt, sevenmph, jon69 and 12 others Thank this.
  5. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I can see some merit in it. I work for the City and County of Denver, who are big on being "green", so I can certainly see it making waves in municipal governments to that end. I could see it having merit for solid waste haulers, since having each motor driven individually means all your torque wouldn't run out with it if you had a wheel spin. Those and similar situations, yes, I could see it.
    But Tesla doesn't have enough infrastructure to properly support their cars, so how the hell are they going to do it for Class 8s?

joesmoothdog Thanks this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Hedge your bets on Elon Musk. I guarantee if the truck breaks down, if his car production is any indication, that the truck will be fixed within six months of the write up. Since they would need to be the people to repair it, propreitary overpriced parts and what not.

RubyEagle, KB3MMX, stwik and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. hrod3866

hrod3866 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2018
    Sleek design can't compensate for its faults. Hope Tesla is not just advertising false hopes.

Puppage Thanks this.
  8. hrod3866

hrod3866 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2018
    I agree. It's just a shiny toy he's been polishing to make extra bucks.

9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    That was predictable. The company has never made money, and within a week of the unveiling of their truck, they went quiet on answering any questions on production and performance. Musk should stick with rockets and forget about cars. He's not very good at it.

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think he designed some of the "sexiest" sedans we've seen in a long time. He needs to stay out of the class 8 trucks business. But we can still argue about the viability of all-electric cars for the average person, today.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.