Tesla's new pickup truck

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Nov 24, 2019.

1. truckaholic001

truckaholic001 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Nevada
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    To me, the interior is bland. Do they supply the Ipad and mount on the dash too?

$39k ($55k Cdn) buys a hell of a lot nicer pickup than that Tesla. So much more luxurious. Believe me.

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If you buy the base model for around $40,000, you've got comparable specs to the light truck segment but a 250 mile range and only rear wheel drive. If you upgrade to the $50,000 version, you can get all wheel drive and a better range, but less towing capacity than some half ton trucks. In order to compete with the half ton segment, you have to drop $70,000. If you charge at home, especially with renewables, fuel should be cheaper. It's also going to be pretty quick for a pickup truck. But will that be worth it for the average consumer?

I really think the top level trim should be on the same level as a 2500 for towing. Unless it's a really light weight truck, even though it's loaded with extra motors and batteries, it should have no problem stopping using regenerative braking combined with hydraulic brakes. But either way, that's why the gimmicky comparisons like pulling 300,000 lbs or a tug of war vs an F150 are pointless.

It's probably a good truck, and more than the average pickup owner needs. I would much rather see people using these as daily drivers than an internal combustion pickup.

There's also a startup that is making travel trailers that have a battery pack and electric motor on one of the axles to increase range while towing. I wonder how long it would take to recharge with a solar roof. It would be interesting to see if someone could travel around the country without buying fuel. It would probably be a very long trip, though.

5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.