Texas Woman Forced to Leave Bus After Reading Bible Out Loud

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Cybergal, Jan 1, 2008.

1. zenix

zenix Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Oregon
    she was sitting in the back and reading loud enough that the driver could hear sounds to me like she was just being to loud

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    You have to see some of the drivers the T {Ft Worth} mass transit system hires. They are some peaches. I think they just got a t raise to $8.00 hr. They will double park in front of a convenience store for 15 or 20 minutes while on break. The police let them pass cause they are city employees.
    And i thought MOBY DICK was a venereal disease. :biggrin_2552:

4. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    How would everyone feel if this person was reading the Quran out loud? I think the incident would not have been resolved so diplomatically. After the old lady was revived with a defibulator, because the Ft. Worth police had taken her for a tazer ride, the FBI would then send her to cuba for a 6 year vacation while they determine if she's an enemy combatant, or an Al Queda conspirator. J/K

If the bus driver had asked the lady to stop reading out loud, and the lady refused, then the driver had every right for the benefit of the other passengers, and the driver to remove this person from the bus. Obvisouly it was annoying enough to require the bus driver to address it. Just because this person is a Christian, and was reading the bible should not give her special priviledges. There is a time and a place to teach your childern about the bible. Being a Christian does not give you the right to annoy other people with your belief. Don't think I am just being anti-christian here, I feel this way about any religion, or anything else. If I'm on a bus, plane, train, or anything in a public venue the last thing I want is for some self-rigtheous person to annoy me, and invade my privacy by preaching, or reading out loud their beliefs.

5. hrdman2luv

hrdman2luv Medium Load Member

Dec 24, 2006
    100% Texan til I die.
    Oh , now Cav is trying to make this a middle eastern issue.

Maybe this, maybe that. We weren't there, no on knows except those who were on the bus.

But according to what I read in this story, she was kicked off for no reason what so ever. Unjustly removed from a public bus in which she paid money to ride along with the children.
    Now the way I see it.......uh.....uh.....

What was I saying?........Where did I put my coffee?........

6. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    I guess you didn't read everything.

Where I live the bus driver has a right to refuse service for any reason to a person. These drivers have to deal with the a lot of crap sometimes. If the person was asked to stop reading out loud, why wouldn't she comply? Like I said, people are going to take the position that, "she was reading the bible, and that should be permitted". Would you really feel the same way if she wasn't reading the bible, but the Quran? Probably not.

This person was creating a distrubance, she was asked to stop, she felt her rights were more important than everyone elses, and she got the boot. Get over it.

7. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Depending on how loud she actually was, I can definitely see her being asked to quiet down or stop. If she THEN refused to comply, sure, she should definitely be kicked off the bus. After all, they took her to her destination.

I wish we had more details. There's a lot left out here so no one knows if she was warned or whatever happened.

8. zenix

zenix Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Oregon
    she was asked first to stop when she didn't stop they removed her

9. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Ah, I didn't realize that. Okay, then, she was being rude.

10. BooBooMaker

BooBooMaker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Benson, NC
    I can agree with the respect part. No question. But I do have questions. Was it the volume that bothered her? Or the reading? Was it the mothers actions? Or was the drivers eaves dropping causing the problem? It doesn't say she was reading LOUD. It says she was reading out loud. I don't have a passenger endorsment either, but I did drive a school bus years [& years, & years] ago. If their policy is to address, much less stop an take "disciplinary" action, every time there is loud conversation, is that driver ever really paying attention to their driving? No wonder the T bus fares have gone up. A bus, a van, a driver, a supervisor, & all those extra miles for a "buck & a half". U can't even get a Sunday paper for that. U couldn't read it on the bus anyway.LOL

Its not supposed to be a religious issue. I don't know that the mother was on her her "high & mighty" Christian soapbox. It seems that news of late would have allowed more tolerance if it had been a Quran. At least most folks will admit that they don't know anything about Islam. But with christianity they'll assume to.

The attitude-in-action question I have is whose idea was it to use the van. While it was probably not the responsibility of the busline to provide alternate transportation someone made that choice. I sense that if it were up to the driver, mother and children would have been just "put out".
    Their in lies my original query into the real conflict. Looks like a good cover to a bad exposure. A "Big Thumbs UP" to whoever made the choice.

It stated the same treatment would have been given if it were Moby Dick. Moby Dick? Can they say that out loud? Sorry, like other folks, I seem to be reading too much into this thats not stated in the facts.

11. palerdr

palerdr Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2007
    albuquerque,n.m
    you can hear them 2 miles away. funny.. very funny. we don't know how loud she was, and you're really supposed to be somewhat respectful to other passengers by not talking at the maximum decibel level. A joke in and of itself . if the driver heard it, she must have been somewhat annoying and distracting. it's funny never-the-less. question... and it's a good one......... are the dinosaurs mentioned in the bible? if not, then who created them? how's that for another topic of discussion? not bad huh?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.